Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Alex Karasulu <ao...@bellsouth.net> on 2003/12/03 18:38:03 UTC

[vote] Vince Tence and AAA

Guys,

I would like to kick off a vote on two separate items.
First I highly recommend Vincent from past experience
to join us as a committer.  He has much to contribute
both in terms of his security knowledge and container
experience.  Looks like he and Paul already have kicked
off a dialog on these matters.

Secondly the AAA framework is a project that we will be
imbellishing and borrowing ideas from.  Perhaps it in
its entirity might not be directory specific but I think
we can come to these conclusions after building them up
and through experience with Eve and perhaps identity
management solutions built on top of Eve with AAA
components.  The reason why I question the location of
these components is because I would like to see container
support for these services as well as the use of them in
other Apache servers like James and Geronimo if those folks
get interested in them.  So having these components available
is a good thing.  However I know that we will be replicating
so much functionality here at the directory project in AAA.
Also Vince will be doing the replicating with us.  He's the
guy who manages the project on sf.net and I'm the other lazy
person on that project.  So it just makes sense to bring it
here until there's enough meat to it to migrate parts of it
other more relavent projects.

So in conclusion here's my votes for the ballot:

[+1] Add Vincent Tence as a committer
[+1] Engulf the AAAFramework community (Vincent Tence & Alex Karasulu)
     adopting the code that already exists there at:
     http://sourceforge.net/projects/aaaframework.

I think if the Apache Incubator people are ok and Vincent is ok with it
then all Vincent has to do is fill out a CLA form and a software grant form.

Nicola and Noel would be best to advise on these matters.

Alex

Re: [vote] Vince Tence and AAA

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@steitz.com>.
Alex Karasulu wrote:
> Guys,
>
> I would like to kick off a vote on two separate items.
> First I highly recommend Vincent from past experience
> to join us as a committer.  He has much to contribute
> both in terms of his security knowledge and container
> experience.  Looks like he and Paul already have kicked
> off a dialog on these matters.
>
> Secondly the AAA framework is a project that we will be
> imbellishing and borrowing ideas from.  Perhaps it in
> its entirity might not be directory specific but I think
> we can come to these conclusions after building them up
> and through experience with Eve and perhaps identity
> management solutions built on top of Eve with AAA
> components.  The reason why I question the location of
> these components is because I would like to see container
> support for these services as well as the use of them in
> other Apache servers like James and Geronimo if those folks
> get interested in them.  So having these components available
> is a good thing.  However I know that we will be replicating
> so much functionality here at the directory project in AAA.
> Also Vince will be doing the replicating with us.  He's the
> guy who manages the project on sf.net and I'm the other lazy
> person on that project.  So it just makes sense to bring it
> here until there's enough meat to it to migrate parts of it
> other more relavent projects.

I am open to and interested in helping with identity/auth services
leveraging directory services.  Whether this "belongs" in the Directory
project is debatable, but I at least would be +1 to including it.

I need to understand better, however, exactly what the vision is.  I
would like to discuss that a bit before we decide on incorporating the
SF AAA project code base.  In particular, I would like to understand
better what the goals are around standards support and applications
beyond Avalon containers.

Re: *IMPORTANT NOTICE* Re: [vote] Vince Tence and AAA

Posted by Jeff Machols <jm...@comcast.net>.

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ao...@bellsouth.net>.
Nicola,

What's the status on Vincent - perhaps we all did not send
in our votes to the pmc list at the incubator?

I just wanted a status so Vincent can start going to town
on some stuff with me now that subversion is up and running.

Thankz,
Alex

*IMPORTANT NOTICE* Re: [vote] Vince Tence and AAA

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Alex Karasulu wrote:

> Guys,
>
> I would like to kick off a vote on two separate items.

                   *** IMPORTANT NOTICE ***

This is a vote for a committer, and as such it's different from a normal
development vote. This vote has to be made also by the Incubator PMC
members.

Please send your votes to pmc@incubator.apache.org and *not* on this list.

Next time, please send the request for a vote on a new committer
privately to pmc@incubator.apache.org before proceeding.

We are discussing about how to organize this better for the future, so
it will be better next time, sorry for the confusion.

Oh, and also sorry for this mail that seems strong, it's just meant like
this to be read by everyone.

Thanks :-)

             - verba volant, scripta manent -