Posted to dev@fineract.apache.org by Bharath Gowda <bg...@mifos.org> on 2023/06/01 06:52:16 UTC

Re: Loans - Upfront Interest Collection

Hi Nazeer,

Good to hear from you and happy to see this feature being worked on.
 Has a Fineract JIRA been created yet for the same? it will be helpful if
you could share the JIRA ticket with the flushed-out functional and
implementation details.
Curious to know more about what type of product configurations this would
be allowed and not allowed. as it would become more complex with daily
interest calculations and recalculations enabled.

Here are my 2 cents on the accounting entry for the same

1. Cash-based
For this, we can directly post the entry to income from interest GL Account

2. Accrual (Upfront)
For this type
We need to have a receivable account credited first and then would be moved
to the Income GL account when the payment comes in

3. Accrual (periodic)
Since on the business side, the Income amount is being collected upfront I
do not think it is correct to have interest accruals at the installment or
at a periodic cut-off.
but the system should accrue if any fees or penalties are introduced in the
middle of the loan term.

Anyone with experience in upfront interest loan products with accrual-based
accounting, feel free to correct me and share your thoughts on the same.

Regards,
Bharath
Lead Implementation Analyst | Mifos Initiative
Skype: live:cbharath4| Mobile: +91.7019635592
http://mifos.org  <http://facebook.com/mifos>
<http://www.twitter.com/mifos>

Posted by Nazeer Hussain Shaik <na...@gmail.com>.
Hi James,

Noted. I will get back to you on contributing this change to Fineract as I
had implemented for the company presently I am working.
I will open discussion on Jira ticket so that everybody can understand and
provide their review comment with respect to requirements & Design.

Thanks,
Nazeer
SSA, Credilinq

Posted by Aleksandar Vidakovic <ch...@monkeysintown.com>.
... it was just to say I can help making things modular, configurable,
reusable... and didn't look in detail at your proposed use case... but I
will. "doesn't matter" means that I can help  without knowing all the
details of the use case... but I will try to catch up over the weekend...

cheers

On Sat, 10 Jun 2023, 05:35 Nazeer Hussain Shaik, <

Posted by Nazeer Hussain Shaik <na...@gmail.com>.
Hi Aleks,

Posted by Aleksandar Vidakovic <ch...@monkeysintown.com>.
Hi Nazeer,

Posted by Ed Cable <ed...@mifos.org>.
Nazeer,

Posted by James Dailey <ja...@gmail.com>.
> [...]

>>> Coming back to the accounting entry discussion
>>>
>>> Since we are collecting the full interest upfront and only principal
>>> over the rest of the installments,
>>> For cash based Accounting
>>> - It does not feel correct to have a liability account approach as cash
>>> based Accounting principal is to effect the income account directly.
>>>
>>> For periodic accrual Accounting
>>> - Since full interest is collected upfront and no interest collected in
>>> remaining installments, it doesn't feel right to accrue interest
>>> installment wise, especially when the interest is already collected first.
>>>
>>> For upfront accrual Accounting
>>> - the current functionality of accruing whole interest should work fine,
>>> only question is to have the accrual date as of disbursement date or first
>>> installment date.
>>>
>>> I am not an expert on accounting but this what I feel based on my

Sent from Gmail Mobile

Re: Loans - Upfront Interest Collection

Posted by Nazeer Hussain Shaik <na...@gmail.com>.

Posted by John Gathogo <jo...@fiter.io>.
Hello Nazeer,

Posted by Bharath Gowda <bg...@mifos.org>.
Hi Nazeer,

Posted by Nazeer Hussain Shaik <na...@gmail.com>.
Hi Bharath,

Posted by Bharath Gowda <bg...@mifos.org>.
Hi Nazeer,

Posted by Nazeer Hussain Shaik <na...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

I have created the jira ticket for the same
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FINERACT-1935

Thanks,

Nazeer

SSA, CrediLinq

https://www.credilinq.ai

On Thu, Jun 1, 2023 at 3:47 PM Nazeer Hussain Shaik <

Posted by Nazeer Hussain Shaik <na...@gmail.com>.
Hi Bharath,