Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by "Frank W. Zammetti" <fz...@omnytex.com> on 2006/04/26 17:53:35 UTC

Re: Action 1 and 2 as separate projects? (was This has gone too far.)

I certainly won't quibble over the name... I can't believe I'm saying it
now, but I'd prefer Struts Classic :)  Not a big deal though, I can
certainly live with Action1, your justifications do make sense.

So, I guess the question is, does anyone else think this is a good idea?
Can we get enough buy-in from people to make it happen?  I'm not really
sure what I could do to help make it happen, but since I brought it up,
I'll do whatever I can.

Frank

--
Frank W. Zammetti
Founder and Chief Software Architect

Posted by Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org>.
Whether or not Action 1 and 2 get their own link under frameworks, the Action 1 site needs work.  Let's get things done
rather than just talk about them :)

Don

Posted by Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org>.
Ted Husted wrote:
> On 4/26/06, Frank W. Zammetti <fz...@omnytex.com> wrote:
>> To be more concrete... on the web site, we have a Frameworks section,
>> currently listing Action Framework and Shale Framework.  What I would like
>> to see is three: Action1 Framework, Action2 Framework and Shale.  And
>> sure, I'll volunteer to do that work, but I would question whether that
>> should be done unless and until Action1 is its own official sub-project...
>> might it be mixed signals before that time?
>
> The term "subproject" doesn't mean a lot. There is only one PMC and
> one set of committers and one dev list. It's not unusual for there to
> be multiple lines of development for a product. We are doing that
> right now with Action 1.2 and 1.3.x
>
> When Action2 comes down from the incubator, it would make sense to me
> to list it under frameworks, so the list would be Action1, Action2,
> and Shale. I hadn't thought about it, but I expect that's what we
> would have done anyway..

+1  This is what I meant when I said we should make them more distinct:
  - Give each their own link under frameworks
  - Each have their own JIRA project
  - And I'd argue, give action2 it's own root directory in SVN, although that isn't as big of deal

Don

Posted by Ted Husted <te...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Michael Jouravlev <jm...@gmail.com>.
On 4/26/06, Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org> wrote:
> A few weeks ago, my reaction would have definitely been no, Struts
> Action is the project and there are two versions.  However, as Action 2
> has moved along, and we've migrated resources like the wiki, jira, and
> Action 1 to Maven 2, I'm starting if you might not be on to something.
> Just from an SVN and JIRA perspective, it is much more natural to treat
> them as two different projects, and I'd argue from a user and website
> perspective as well.

Duh!

On 4/26/06, Frank W. Zammetti <fz...@omnytex.com> wrote:
> To be more concrete... on the web site, we have a Frameworks section,
> currently listing Action Framework and Shale Framework.  What I would like
> to see is three: Action1 Framework, Action2 Framework and Shale.  And
> sure, I'll volunteer to do that work, but I would question whether that
> should be done unless and until Action1 is its own official sub-project...
> might it be mixed signals before that time?

I guess no one cares about the simplicity of, say, job search and
validity of results. It would be much simpler for everyone if they
were simply Struts, Webwork and Shale. Do you relly expect employers
to put "Struts Action Framework 2" in their job descriptions?

It would be much easier for Apache visitors to see one larger "Web
Frameworks" section that would cover not only for Struts, Webwork and
Shale, but for Tapestry, Cocoon and whatnot as well.

The above rant does not require a response.

Michael.

Re: Action 1 and 2 as separate projects? (was This has gone too far.)

Posted by "Frank W. Zammetti" <fz...@omnytex.com>.
On Wed, April 26, 2006 11:59 am, Don Brown said:
> This particular decision needs more discussion before we can move
> forward on it, but in the meantime, our Action 1 website is hard to
> navigate and missing content.  If you are volunteering ;), you could
> browse through it and make a list of recommendations on how it could be
> improved from a user perspective.  If you are really ambitious, you can
> checkout the action project and create patches for the docs
> (subproject/src/site/xdocs), and even add entries to the FAQs.  I think
> your root concern is it is hard for users to follow Action 1 and find
> information, so I think improving the website would go a long way to
> resolving this important observation.

I'm on a very tight schedule with my book work at the moment, but I should
be able to find at least some time this weekend, probably not before then
though.  However, before I do that...

Are you saying that it would be OK, at least from your perspective, to
break out Action1 as far as the site organization goes, even if it isn't
an officially recognized sub-project from a management prespective?  I
almost wonder if that might be worse...

To clarify my concern... your right, part of it is simply finding
information, and that's really pretty easy to solve, as you say, just some
web site mods should do it for the most part.  My larger concern though,
and why I was suggesting Action1 be officially a sub-project separate from
Action2 and Shale, is so that it can take on a life of its own and
continue to evolve separate from everything else (of course always sharing
where possible!), and that it is clear to everyone that that is the
plan... My understanding is that is already the intention and always has
been, but making it its own project makes it, I think, much clearer.  It
also perhaps allows people to focus more in contributing.

To be more concrete... on the web site, we have a Frameworks section,
currently listing Action Framework and Shale Framework.  What I would like
to see is three: Action1 Framework, Action2 Framework and Shale.  And
sure, I'll volunteer to do that work, but I would question whether that
should be done unless and until Action1 is its own official sub-project...
might it be mixed signals before that time?

> Don

Frank

Re: Action 1 and 2 as separate projects? (was This has gone too far.)

Posted by Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org>.
Frank W. Zammetti wrote:
> So, I guess the question is, does anyone else think this is a good idea?
> Can we get enough buy-in from people to make it happen?  I'm not really
> sure what I could do to help make it happen, but since I brought it up,
> I'll do whatever I can.

That's the spirit! :)