Posted to j-dev@xerces.apache.org by Andy Clark <an...@apache.org> on 2003/01/23 23:37:25 UTC

[XNI] Other Comments

I'm taking a quick glance at the xni.grammars and
xni.psvi packages now. Here are some comments:

* XMLGrammarLoader

While this interface has methods for querying the
recognized features and properties, it doesn't have
the ability to communicate its preferred default
values, a la XMLComponent.

Also, should it have a reset(XMLComponentManager)
method?

* XMLGrammarPool

Another case of using the "clear" method name.

And is locking necessary on the interface? or is
that more a function of an implementation of a
grammar pool?

Why do we use the word "retrieve" instead of "get"?
Is that have to do with the fact that the grammar
may be loaded if needed?

On the cacheGrammar method, why do we need to pass
in the grammar type when that information can be
queried from the grammar's description? Is this
just for convenience? And what happens if a grammar
in the array doesn't match the specified type?

While there is documentation for each method, some
don't use the JavaDoc format. This should be fixed.

* XSGrammar

Has dependencies on an implementation interface.
Either we add XML Schema grammar interfaces to the
XNI PSVI package or we move this interface back out
to the implementation directory. If we pick the
former, then I would suggest adding a grammars.xs
package to contain this stuff.

* xni.psvi

Implementation dependencies all over the place.
We should not declare this part of XNI as final
until it's fully developed and separate from the
impl packages.

                       * * *

Did I miss anything?

--