Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Gordon Ross <G....@ccw.gov.uk> on 2002/03/06 14:41:03 UTC

Wrong server name being used in SMTP Communication (Was Spool directory filling up)

I've noticed, that for outbound SMTP mail, JAMES seems to be ignoring
the servername configuration tag.

The servers hostname is HQ-CBS2.

In the DNS, the server is known as mailgate.ccw.gov.uk

In the config file I've got
<servername>mailgate.ccw.gov.uk</servername>

Yet in outbond SMTP communications (observered via a packet sniffer),
James always seems to issue "HELO HQ-CBS2". Because of this, DNS checks
performed by some SMTP servers fails.

Am I missing something, or is this a "feature" ?

Thanks,

GTG

Gordon Ross,
Network Manager,
Countryside Council for Wales

Re: Wrong server name being used in SMTP Communication (Was Spooldirectory filling up)

Posted by Serge Knystautas <se...@lokitech.com>.
For the moment we're using JavaMail's SMTP transport to send outgoing
messages... there must be some properties setting we can do to use the
servername configuration setting.  Can you file a bug report on this so it
doesn't get lost?

Serge Knystautas
http://www.lokitech.com/