Posted to dev@uima.apache.org by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com> on 2017/03/29 14:36:28 UTC

idea for reducing the uima website size

Hi,

From time to time (in the past at least) we have been asked to "delete" things
off of the uima website to make it smaller.

The main size consumers on the website are the docs/d/ folders - there's one per
(somewhat recent) release.

Since transitioning to the svn way of publishing, it strikes me that we could
shrink our website footprint by taking advantage of the svn storage, something
like this:

1) For older release, unlikely to be referenced frequently if at all, delete
them.  They will disappear from svn "HEAD", but still be there in older revisions.

2) put up a new page (archived docs) which provides instructions on how to find
the older versions in
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/uima/site/trunk/uima-website/docs/d/ etc.

(optionally), we could put in hyperlinks to the svn revision having the top
folder in the viewsvn api style.

Is this worth doing?

Any volunteers :-) ?

-Marshall

Re: idea for reducing the uima website size

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
Good questions!

Here's how the uima website publishing works:
The website works by having a hook that watches for svn commits to the
.../uima/site/trunk/uima-website/docs/ folder, which it copies to the website
when svn changes.

Moving things to an archive spot that was still accessible by the website could
be done, just by moving things to another svn spot, not under the watchful eye
of the above hook. You can still refer to those spots using the http interface
to the svn, say something like:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/uima/site/trunk/uima-website-archive/x/y/z etc.

It would be important that these be lightly loaded links, I think; and this is
likely the case for older archived releases.

Doing this would reduce the MB consumed on the apache site web server.  This is
(occasionally) a goal, although I haven't heard any complaints from Infra about
this recently - maybe disk space is not an issue anymore.

Another goal is to reduce the download size when checking out the uima-website
for maintenance. By having the archived stuff be under
.../uima/site/trunk/uima-website-archive instead of .../uima-website, we remove
the extra stuff from the normal maintenance download footprint of the website.

Moving the items under docs/d might break url links;  this can be mitigated by
using the "current" symbolic link, as several projects already are doing.

-Marshall

Posted by Richard Eckart de Castilho <re...@apache.org>.
Hi,