Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by cm...@collab.net on 2002/08/23 17:07:28 UTC

Re: svn windows setup english windows only?

"Barry Scott" <ba...@ntlworld.com> writes:

> Am I right in believing that the windows setup for SVN will only work
> on english windows systems?
>
> I think this because of the hard coded path to diff.exe and diff3.exe.
>
>      c:\progra~1\cygnus\cygwin\bin\diff.exe
>
> It assumes 3 things that are not required to be true on a windows
> system:

[...]

Quite honestly, Barry, I've never understood why we have a full path
to diff and diff3 *at all* in our code.  Surely we can have APR launch
subprocesses which can take both absolute and relative paths!

On Unix, I understand that we let configure find the versions of these
programs that are known to work with Subversion's use-cases.  So fine,
we get absolute paths for those.

But why aren't the windows .hw files set up to just have "diff.exe"
and "diff3.exe" for those #defines?  We don't (to my knowledge) do any
checks for the validity of those programs on Windows anyway.  We just
have to tell folks that those programs have to be in their %PATH% in
order for Subversion to use them, unless they compile their own
Subversion with the (accurate) full path to their diff/diff3 programs
in the header file.

Re: svn windows setup english windows only?

Posted by Florin Iucha <fl...@iucha.net>.
On Fri, Aug 23, 2002 at 07:48:28PM +0200, Branko ??ibej wrote:
> cmpilato@collab.net wrote:
>
> >"Barry Scott" <ba...@ntlworld.com> writes:
> >

> >>Am I right in believing that the windows setup for SVN will only work
> >>on english windows systems?
> >>
> >>I think this because of the hard coded path to diff.exe and diff3.exe.
> >>
> >>    c:\progra~1\cygnus\cygwin\bin\diff.exe
> >>
> >>It assumes 3 things that are not required to be true on a windows
> >>system:
> >>

> Nope, it assumes none of those things. It only assumes that you have a
> C: drive (which you always do), and that you can create a
> c:\progra~1\cygnus\cygwin\bin directory, which you mostly can.

On my windows 2000 machine my drives are:
   d: (cd-rom)
   g: (hard drive)

Why? Because I had a windows 2000 installed on a harddrive, moved that
harddrive onto a secondary IDE controller and plugged in a new harddrive
as primary master and reinstalled windows 2000.

No, there is no way to change the drive letter of the boot drive so I
can't change that. And there are plenty of installation programs that
assume you have a C:\Program Files directory.

But there are programs that get it right, so the proper value must be
in the registry somewhere.

florin

--

"If it's not broken, let's fix it till it is."

41A9 2BDE 8E11 F1C5 87A6  03EE 34B3 E075 3B90 DFE4

Re: svn windows setup english windows only?

Posted by cm...@collab.net.
=?UTF-8?B?QnJhbmtvIMSMaWJlag==?= <br...@xbc.nu> writes:

> We don't use APR_PROGRAM_PATH for diff and diff3, and you know very well
> why not. And there's an issue about that, IIRC, so that the program
> locations could be set in the config file.

I'm starting this issue now, first by applying Karl's patch...

Re: svn windows setup english windows only?

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu>.
cmpilato@collab.net wrote:

>"Barry Scott" <ba...@ntlworld.com> writes:
>

>>Am I right in believing that the windows setup for SVN will only work
>>on english windows systems?
>>
>>I think this because of the hard coded path to diff.exe and diff3.exe.
>>
>>     c:\progra~1\cygnus\cygwin\bin\diff.exe
>>
>>It assumes 3 things that are not required to be true on a windows
>>system:

Nope, it assumes none of those things. It only assumes that you have a
C: drive (which you always do), and that you can create a
c:\progra~1\cygnus\cygwin\bin directory, which you mostly can.

But I agree it's a pain in the etcetera. It's on my list of things to fix.

RE: Re: svn windows setup english windows only?

Posted by Bill Tutt <ra...@lyra.org>.
> From: cmpilato@collab.net [mailto:cmpilato@collab.net]
>
> "Barry Scott" <ba...@ntlworld.com> writes:
>
> > > But why aren't the windows .hw files set up to just have
"diff.exe"
> > > and "diff3.exe" for those #defines?  We don't (to my knowledge) do
any
> > > checks for the validity of those programs on Windows anyway.  We
just
> > > have to tell folks that those programs have to be in their %PATH%
in
> > > order for Subversion to use them, unless they compile their own
> > > Subversion with the (accurate) full path to their diff/diff3
programs
> > > in the header file.
> >
> > Please don't require the PATH to have to point your diff and diff3.
> > Its not nessesary and it makes the installation fragile.
>
> No, the plan is to continue doing things exactly as they are today,
> *except* that users will be able to add lines to their subversion
> configuration files to override the compiled-in default locations for
> those programs.  Note also that those lines will be, by default,
> commented out of the sample config files.

Besides, a Windows setup program should know specifically where the
installed diff programs are, because it installs them.

Bill

Posted by Barry Scott <ba...@ntlworld.com>.
> But why aren't the windows .hw files set up to just have "diff.exe"
> and "diff3.exe" for those #defines?  We don't (to my knowledge) do any
> checks for the validity of those programs on Windows anyway.  We just
> have to tell folks that those programs have to be in their %PATH% in
> order for Subversion to use them, unless they compile their own
> Subversion with the (accurate) full path to their diff/diff3 programs
> in the header file.

Please don't require the PATH to have to point your diff and diff3.
Its not nessesary and it makes the installation fragile.

	BArry