Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by jon * <jo...@clearink.com> on 1999/08/13 00:40:01 UTC

Re: mod_jserv/4855: JVM left running after quit prevents modified classes from reloading

The following reply was made to PR mod_jserv/4855; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "jon *" <jo...@clearink.com>
To: dkamins@fungusamungus.com
Cc: apbugs@hyperreal.org
Subject: Re: mod_jserv/4855: JVM left running after quit prevents modified
	 classes from reloading
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 15:32:46 -0700

 > After shutting down the Apache server (either CTRL-C or 'apache -k
 > shutdown'), its "java.exe" process is left running.  This can be seen as an
 > ~8MB process in the Windows Task Manager.  Not a terrible problem yet, but
 > it means that if I change a class (as is frequently the case during SW
 > development), I have to open up the Task Manager and kill the Java process
 > before re-running apache!  EVERY time.  This sucks!  It took me a long time
 > to figure out that was even the problem, but JServ should definitely kill
 > the JVM when it's done.
 >
 > BTW I checked all through the FAQs, and couldn't find anything on this, so
 > if it has been discussed, please point me to the right place.

 It is in the fAQ...

 <http://java.apache.org/faq/fom-serve/cache/157.html>

 apache -k shutdown is the only proper way to do it and it definately kills
 the JVM.

 -jon