Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by Janagan Sivagnanasundaram <ja...@gmail.com> on 2016/05/18 18:05:46 UTC

Question regarding enhancement for Apache Kafka

Hello,

I Janagan Sivagnanasundaram from Sri Lanka, and pursuing final year
undergraduate studies under software engineering at University of Colombo
School of Computing, Sri Lanka. As a part of the fulfillment of the degree
we have to do a final year software engineering project with 3 members. So
our project we thought of doing an enhancement for current apache kafka
framework, and the proposed enhancement is changing apache kafka from topic
based to content based, which will provide many features.

Our idea for the above proposed method is to leave the kafka as it is
without modifying and build a middleware on top of the kafka framework,
which gets the content based subscription as the input and passes to the
kafka module as set of topics, and finally kafka will process as it is
(i.e: content is divided into set of topics)

Is the above proposed way is possible to implement? Or is there any
alternative best way to solve the problem?

More importantly, our whole project should not exceed 6-8 months of period.
We have to finish the project before Dec, 2016

It will be great if you all can propose a suitable way of implement such
thing, I hope that implementing such thing would be a great contribution to
kafka community.

Thank you

Regards,
S.Janagan

RE: Question regarding enhancement for Apache Kafka

Posted by "Tauzell, Dave" <Da...@surescripts.com>.
Can you give some examples of what "content based" means?

Thanks,
     Dave

[...]

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential, may contain sensitive information, and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender by reply e-mail immediately and destroy all copies of the e-mail and any attachments.

Re: Question regarding enhancement for Apache Kafka

Posted by Marut Singh <ma...@delhivery.com>.
Content-filtering may mean different to different to people depending on
use case. So it's better to have examples.

Posted by Janagan Sivagnanasundaram <ja...@gmail.com>.
Suggested way is to use  Samza on top of Kafka and then inject
content filtering rules into a Samza system. This will give a "content
subscription" system
you intend to build.

Or either to use KafkaStreams

Can anyone explain a bit regarding this? :)

Posted by Gwen Shapira <gw...@confluent.io>.
Or you can use KafkaStreams, which is already available in Kafka :)