Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Filipe Brandenburger <li...@idilia.com> on 2009/01/28 15:35:19 UTC

Increasing verbosity and feedback on svn commit

Hello,

I just migrated a huge repository from CVS to Subversion using cvs2svn. On the server the repository had ~210GB on CVS and shrunk to ~30GB on Subversion. Checkout size was around ~10GB in CVS and grew to ~20GB in Subversion, but this was expected as we knew it would keep two copies of the files.

So, nothing wrong with the migration, people are working in Subversion and I have positive feedback from when they tag a release, which before took hours to do and had to be done overnights otherwise it would kill production, and now takes a few seconds only.

The only thing I hear complains about is that Subversion is not very verbose in some cases. For instance, sometimes commits are very long (5 minutes), but Subversion does not tell what it is doing and I did not find any command line switch, config file option or environment variable that could do that. It only shows "dots", but even then, after it finishes printing the dots it sometimes spends a long time doing something, but there is no feedback on whether it is going forward or hung.

Is there any way to configure Subversion to give more feedback on these operations? Like printing the name of files/directories it is traversing? And after it stops printing the dots, what exactly is it doing? Is there any way to be able to see the progress in order to see that it is not stuck?

Thanks in advance!
Filipe

Re: Increasing verbosity and feedback on svn commit

Posted by Filipe Brandenburger <li...@idilia.com>.
Hi,

Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> True, Subversion isn't as verbose during commit as perhaps it could be.

Any way (other than patching) to tweak it?

> [...] If you have hook scripts installed on the
> server, for example to send out an email after every commit, the client
> is probably waiting for that hook script to complete. If so, there are
> ways to make it faster [...]

I don't have any hook scripts, at least not that I know of. Inside my
repository, all the files inside the "hooks" subdirectory end in .tmpl,
so I assume that those are templates and that they are not active.

Thanks for your reply!

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Jan 28, 2009, at 09:35, Filipe Brandenburger wrote:

> I just migrated a huge repository from CVS to Subversion using
> cvs2svn.

[snip]

> The only thing I hear complains about is that Subversion is not
> very verbose in some cases. For instance, sometimes commits are
> very long (5 minutes), but Subversion does not tell what it is
> doing and I did not find any command line switch, config file
> option or environment variable that could do that. It only shows
> "dots", but even then, after it finishes printing the dots it
> sometimes spends a long time doing something, but there is no
> feedback on whether it is going forward or hung.
>
> Is there any way to configure Subversion to give more feedback on
> these operations? Like printing the name of files/directories it is
> traversing? And after it stops printing the dots, what exactly is
> it doing? Is there any way to be able to see the progress in order
> to see that it is not stuck?

True, Subversion isn't as verbose during commit as perhaps it could be.

As I understand it, first Subversion scans the working copy to see
what files will be committed, and as it finds them, it prints their
paths. Then, for each file, it transmits the changes to the server;
for each file, a dot is printed. Finally, the server must write a
transaction with those files and run the hook scripts; no feedback
appears on the client during this part. If you have hook scripts
installed on the server, for example to send out an email after every
commit, the client is probably waiting for that hook script to
complete. If so, there are ways to make it faster, for example you
can launch the post-commit hook scripts in the background so that the
client does not wait for their response (since by post-commit time
the client can't influence anything anyway).