Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Chris <ch...@eehmke.de> on 2010/10/27 13:48:32 UTC

Re: [users@httpd] (104)Connection reset by peer:core_output_filter: writing data to the network

 Hi Eric,

 On Wed, 27 Oct 2010 07:23:49 -0400, Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>
 wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 6:49 AM, Chris <ch...@eehmke.de> wrote:
>> I know I am not the first to ask this question, but I really
>> searched a lot
>> and got no solution.
>>
>> I have a CGI application written in C++ running on my Apache 2.2.9
>> server,
>> hosted on a Debian Lenny system. The application runs fine most of
>> the time,
>> only when I do a special download of a simple text file (in CSV
>> format) the
>> file is not downloaded and the above message appears in the
>> error.log. Other
>> files in the same format download w/o problem.
>>
>> The application itself seems to run fine too, internal tracing
>> showed me the
>> file in question is generated correctly. It only might be that the
>> process
>> takes one or two seconds longer than usual, because a lot of mysql
>> queries
>> have to be executed. But as told before, this works, only the file
>> never is
>> downloaded.
>>
>> Now I am at the end of my wits and would ask for hints how to track
>> down
>> this issue? I have full control of the server (actually the same
>> problem
>> happens when I run the application on localhost, which is a Gentoo
>> system)
>> and of the application source code, so I can build test versions
>> with debug
>> statements embedded.
>

> If the client is giving up on reading the data due to time, and
> nothing else is wrong with the headers/body, try either sending the
> data back periodically  or spawning another thread to trickle back
> undisplayed data to keep the client interested in hanging around
> (like
> the pages you see on travel sites).

 I forgot to mention, the client is just the Firefox browser. Normally
 it downloads that files and stores them in the local file system.

 What kind of "keepalive" data could be used?

>> Regards, Chris

Re: [users@httpd] (104)Connection reset by peer: core_output_filter: writing data to the network

Posted by ch...@eehmke.de.
Hello all,

the problem is solved. It turned out that the cgi application had a bug that
caused error messages to be injected into the downloaded file. I guess this
caused some checksum on length validation check to send a RST ACK package
back. Why this did not happen with other files I must still debug, but when I
removed the code that caused the error message inside the file stream, all
worked fine as it should.
Regards, Chris