Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Jason van Zyl <jv...@maven.org> on 2003/11/25 06:15:03 UTC

Re: specify a different properties file rather than build.properties file

On Mon, 2003-11-24 at 19:31, Nelson, Scott (MAN-Corporate) wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> After reading the documentation I know that the order of properties file
> processing is project.properties, build.properties,
> build.properties(user.home).  I also read that the -Dname=value properties
> set at the CLI take precedence over all of these but...
>
> Say I wanted maven to use a file called build-qa.properties instead of
> build.properties, is there a way to do this in maven?

Why would you need to that?

--
jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason@zenplex.com
http://tambora.zenplex.org

Re: specify a different properties file rather than build.properties file

Posted by Jim Crossley <ji...@crossleys.org>.
Jason van Zyl <jv...@maven.org> writes:

> On Mon, 2003-11-24 at 19:31, Nelson, Scott (MAN-Corporate) wrote:
>> Hey guys,
>>
>> After reading the documentation I know that the order of properties file
>> processing is project.properties, build.properties,
>> build.properties(user.home).  I also read that the -Dname=value properties
>> set at the CLI take precedence over all of these but...
>>
>> Say I wanted maven to use a file called build-qa.properties instead of
>> build.properties, is there a way to do this in maven?
>
> Why would you need to that?

Because the properties for each environment you might build/deploy the
project in are different, e.g. QA's mail host is not the same as
Production's mail host.  We keep each environment's properties file
under version control to simplify deployment -- we don't want to
introduce the potential for human error by editing a properties file.
We've used various ways of determining which properties file to use at
build-time -- it would be nice if Maven provided a more standard way
of doing it.

Thanks,
Jim