Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Scott Webber <sw...@buckeye-express.com> on 2002/02/23 22:54:25 UTC

VirtualDocumentRoot

Hi,

I've looked around for solutions to this problem and haven't found any
answers.  What I'm trying to do is have user subdomains.  My free dns server
resolves all subdomains, for example anything.blahblah.mydomain.com to the
same IP address as mydomain.com.  What I want to do is have
username.mydomain.com serve from /home/username/www and mydomain.com serve
from /var/www/html.

I tried changing my httpd.conf so that it has:

UseCanonicalName Off

and added:

VirtualDocumentRoot /home/%1/www

The problem is that the user pages work just fine, but the normal domain
mydomain.com no longer works.  I just get a 404 error.  As a bonus, I would
also like to have www.mydomain.com still serve from the same place as
mydomain.com.  Is that possible?

If anyone knows how to make this work, your help would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks,
Scott Webber

RE: VirtualDocumentRoot

Posted by Roman <ou...@centrum.cz>.
Hi,

what about easy solution - create symlink from /home/www/www
(www.yourdomain.com) to /var/www/html ?
This should work, isn't it ?!

Change paths correctly to your needs please :-)

maybe good solution is to create one VirtualHost for each subdomain - it is
not so short solution but is better when each user want another features
like php, cgi etc....

Sincerely,

Roman