Posted to dev@shindig.apache.org by Randy Hudson <hu...@us.ibm.com> on 2009/09/30 17:07:28 UTC

Can multiple social sites share a single deployment of shindig?

I'm wondering about the intended/supported deployment topologies for
shindig.  Is it possible to have multiple sites (i.e. the
top-level/container page) hosted on multiple servers but sharing a common
deployment of shindig for serving the rendered gadgets?  Or is the
intended use that shindig is deployed along with each "social site"
requiring shindig's services.

One reason I ask is that I see some config settings in shindig that refer
to properties of the consuming site.

Thanks,
Randy Hudson

Re: Can multiple social sites share a single deployment of shindig?

Posted by Chris Chabot <ch...@google.com>.
Ok so the good news is that shindig is made to work with several container
configurations, if you look at the top of container.js you'll see that the
entire config is wrapped in this top level entry:
{"gadgets.container" : ["default"],
... lots of stuff ...
}

This means this is the default container config, but there could be entries
for other container keys too.

Now I could tell you the exact details of how this is done in the variant,
but I'm afraid I'm not sure how that's done in Java, my guess is that the
default JsonContainerConfig scans the container/*.js directory for files
called *.{js,json} and loads those, but as I mentioned, I'm mostly just
guessing here, you could probably find out by looking at
shindig/java/common/src/main/java/org/apache/shindig/config/JsonContainerConfig.java
and take it from there

Posted by Randy Hudson <hu...@us.ibm.com>.
Great!  But then I'm a little confused about shindig's config file:
"container.js".  Is shindig the "container", or is it a "gadget server"
for multiple containers.

In container.js, there is one setting for "parentRelayUrl".  Couldn't that
setting be different for each container?  Maybe the containers could pass
that setting in as a param?

Similarly, the containers need to know where the gadget server's relay URL
is.  It seems "parentRelayUrl" is actually (or also) "gadgetRelayUrl", so
is there a discovery mechanism for containers to fetch this (and possibly
other) settings from shindig?

Thanks,
-Randy

From: