Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Santosh Deshpande <sa...@office.sourceree.com> on 2002/02/14 17:59:07 UTC

starting mutliple apache server

hi All,
   I would like to start two 'Apache servers instances' on a single machine.
   One is to use SSL and the other without SSL. But unfortunately, I can not
start the SSL enabled Apache.

   Here is how the server/conf file looks like.

  Server: RHLinux, has 2 IP address  ( 10.20.30.1 and 10.20.30.2 )

  httpd-ssl.conf :

  Listen 10.20.30.1:443
  NameVirtuaHost 10.20.30.1:443
  <VirtualHost 10.20.30.1:443>
   ServerName www.mydmain.com
  </VirtualHost>

  httpd-nossl.conf :

  Listen 10.20.30.1:80
  NameVirtuaHost 10.20.30.2:80
  <VirtualHost 10.20.30.2:80>
   ServerName  dtd.mydmain.com
  </VirtualHost>

   Startup scripts:
      daemon  /usr/sbin/httpd  -f
/usr/local/apache/conf/httpd-ssl/httpd-ssl.conf -D SSL
      daemon  /usr/sbin/httpd  -f
/usr/local/apache/conf/httpd-nossl/httpd-nossl.conf

    With this I can get only the httpd without SSL working.  I can not start
the httpd with SSL.
    It comes up with errors
    { [Thu Feb 14 12:35:13 2002] [crit] (98)Address already in use:
make_sock: could not bind to address 10.20.30.1
          port443 ]} though  there is nothing happening on 443.

   ----------------------------------

   Additional Info:
   1.  With a single file that includes both the vhost (httpd.conf), it
works.
     ( I can access www.mydmain.com securely while dtd.mydmain.com in the
non secure way)
   2. The httpd.conf is in default location and I use  'apachectl  startssl'
to startup.
   3. DocumentRoot/ Log destinations are specified correctly ( absolute
path)

  appreciate your help.

Santosh

Re: starting mutliple apache server

Posted by Owen Boyle <ob...@bourse.ch>.
Santosh Deshpande wrote:

> Thanx owen. I will try it restarting it in the evening as it is our live
> server.
> But I am pretty sure that there were no 'httpd' or other processes using the
> port 443.

Try "netstat -a | grep 443" just to see (I'm not sure if a zombie will
show up, however...)

RE: starting mutliple apache server

Posted by Owen Boyle <ob...@bourse.ch>.

Posted by Santosh Deshpande <sa...@office.sourceree.com>.
yes that was a typo. It should be read as 'Listen 10.20.30.2:80' for second
VH.

Actually, it is working fine if I define both the VH in a single file and
startup a single daemon.
But when I try to one for each ( two separate conf files ) the second httpd
(with ssl) does not seem to start.
Unfortunately, the SSL logging is not on. But the apache error_log has the
following message.

  [ Address already in use: make_sock: could not bind to address 10.20.30.1
port 443 ]

Here is some additional info:

All the SSL directives are in place

bash$ ./httpd -v
Server version: Apache/1.3.12 (Unix)
Server built:   May 17 2001 17:30:42 ;

bash$ ./httpd -l
Compiled-in modules:
  http_core.c
  mod_so.c
  mod_ssl.c

Santosh

>    I would like to start two 'Apache servers instances' on a single
machine.
>    One is to use SSL and the other without SSL. But unfortunately, I can
not
> start the SSL enabled Apache.
>
>    Here is how the server/conf file looks like.
>
>   Server: RHLinux, has 2 IP address  ( 10.20.30.1 and 10.20.30.2 )
>
>   httpd-ssl.conf :
>
>   Listen 10.20.30.1:443
>   NameVirtuaHost 10.20.30.1:443
>   <VirtualHost 10.20.30.1:443>
>    ServerName www.mydmain.com
>   </VirtualHost>
>
>   httpd-nossl.conf :
>
>   Listen 10.20.30.1:80
>   NameVirtuaHost 10.20.30.2:80
>   <VirtualHost 10.20.30.2:80>
>    ServerName  dtd.mydmain.com
>   </VirtualHost>

This is all muddled up... on the second VH, you have "Listen
10.20.30.1:80" but define "VirtualHost 10.20.30.2:80" - is this really
what's in your httpd.conf or did you just mess up the typing?

Anyway, there's more to SSL than setting up a VH on port 443.
- do you have mod_ssl or apache-SSL?
- do you have all the other SSL directives you need?
- what does it say in the error_log?
- what does it say in the ssl_engine_log?

Rgds

owen Boyle.

Re: starting mutliple apache server

Posted by Owen Boyle <ob...@bourse.ch>.

Posted by Santosh Deshpande <sa...@office.sourceree.com>.
As I mentioned earlier, port 443 is NOT busy.
What are the implications of using non default port?
Do I have to use the port number in the URL?

1)check if port 443 is busy using netstat -a | grep 443
2) try changing the ssl port

Posted by Milind Sawant <mi...@skandiabank.ch>.
I have used this option with apache 1.3.19 and it works fine.

Posted by Santosh Deshpande <sa...@office.sourceree.com>.

Posted by Milind Sawant <mi...@skandiabank.ch>.