Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Ed Sawicki <ed...@alcpress.com> on 2006/11/13 21:27:10 UTC

[users@httpd] UserDir enabled problem

I just compiled and installed Apache version 2.2.3 on Linux.
I have mod_userdir loaded and I added these directives to
the Apache configuration file:

UserDir  enabled
UserDir  disabled root
UserDir  public_html

When I restart Apache, I get this error on-screen and in the error_log:

Syntax error on line 395 of /usr/local/apache/conf/httpd.conf:395
UserDir "enable" keyword requires a list of usernames

and Apache doesn't start. The Apache documentation does not mention
that a list of usernames must be present and their examples don't show
such a list. What's up?

Ed

Re: [users@httpd] UserDir enabled problem

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On 11/13/06, Ed Sawicki <ed...@alcpress.com> wrote:
> I just compiled and installed Apache version 2.2.3 on Linux.
> I have mod_userdir loaded and I added these directives to
> the Apache configuration file:
>
> UserDir  enabled
> UserDir  disabled root
> UserDir  public_html
>
> When I restart Apache, I get this error on-screen and in the error_log:
>
> Syntax error on line 395 of /usr/local/apache/conf/httpd.conf:395
> UserDir "enable" keyword requires a list of usernames
>
> and Apache doesn't start. The Apache documentation does not mention
> that a list of usernames must be present and their examples don't show
> such a list. What's up?

There is probably a problem with the docs.  But you can get what you
want with simply
UserDir public_html
UserDir disabled root

The "enable" part is implied.