Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Kevinm <ke...@gmail.com> on 2010/12/20 16:28:39 UTC

svn_load_dirs.pl and paths with '@'

I stumbled across a bug in svn_load_dirs.pl when importing paths with an
ampersand character. Anything after the final ampersand in a path gets
interpreted as a peg revision during the add phase, so the affected files
don't get imported and the sanity check at the end fails.

I have attached a patch to get around the issue; it always adds
an ampersand to the end of each path while building the TARGETS file. This
is documented in the svn book here:
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.5/svn.advanced.pegrevs.html

The perceptive reader is probably wondering at this point whether the peg
> revision syntax causes problems for working copy paths or URLs that actually
> have at signs in them. After all, how does svn know whether news@11 is the
> name of a directory in my tree or just a syntax for “revision 11 of news”?
> Thankfully, while svn will always assume the latter, there is a trivial
> workaround. You need only append an at sign to the end of the path, such as
> news@11@. svn cares only about the last at sign in the argument, and it is
> not considered illegal to omit a literal peg revision specifier after that
> at sign. This workaround even applies to paths that end in an at sign—you
> would use filename@@ to talk about a file named filename@.

Below is a simple test to reproduce the issue:

dev-kevinm04:~$ mkdir test
dev-kevinm04:~$ touch test/a.txt
dev-kevinm04:~$ svnadmin create repos
dev-kevinm04:~$ svn_load_dirs -v -t 1.0 file://`pwd`/repos current test
Directory test will be tagged as 1.0

<snip>

Cleaning up /tmp/svn_load_dirs_a_cRabZpNS
dev-kevinm04:~$ touch test/b@c.txt
dev-kevinm04:~$ svn_load_dirs -v -t 2.0 file://`pwd`/repos current test
Directory test will be tagged as 2.0

<snip>

Checking out file:///home/london/kevinm/repos/current into
/tmp/svn_load_dirs_SfwwQDtsAX/my_import_wc
Running /usr/local/bin/svn checkout --non-interactive
file:///home/london/kevinm/repos/current my_import_wc

A   b@c.txt
Running /usr/local/bin/svn add -N --targets
/tmp/svn_load_dirs_SfwwQDtsAX/targets.00001
Running /usr/local/bin/svn commit --non-interactive -m Load test into
current.

Running /usr/local/bin/svn update --non-interactive
Running /usr/local/bin/svn cp --non-interactive -m Tag current as 2.0.
 file:///home/london/kevinm/repos/current
file:///home/london/kevinm/repos/2.0
Checking out file:///home/london/kevinm/repos/2.0 into
/tmp/svn_load_dirs_SfwwQDtsAX/my_tag_wc_named_2.0
Running /usr/local/bin/svn checkout --non-interactive
file:///home/london/kevinm/repos/2.0 my_tag_wc_named_2.0
Running diff -u -x .svn -r test
/tmp/svn_load_dirs_SfwwQDtsAX/my_tag_wc_named_2.0
/usr/local/bin/svn_load_dirs: diff -u -x .svn -r test
/tmp/svn_load_dirs_SfwwQDtsAX/my_tag_wc_named_2.0 failed with this output:
Only in test: b@c.txt
Press return to quit and clean up svn working directory:
Cleaning up /tmp/svn_load_dirs_SfwwQDtsAX
dev-kevinm04:~$

Thanks,

Kevin.

Re: svn_load_dirs.pl and paths with '@'

Posted by Julian Foad <ju...@wandisco.com>.
C. Michael Pilato wrote:
> On 12/21/2010 11:33 AM, Julian Foad wrote:
> > Kevinm wrote:
> >> Apologies Julian - it was the end of a long day :)
> >>
> >> Please find the patch attached... hopefully.
> >
> > Yup, it's there.
> >
> > Anyone know how we generate 'svn_load_dirs.pl' from
> > 'svn_load_dirs.pl.in'?  I can't seem to find anything in "configure" or
> > "make".  I re-built and still it's not there.
>
> Not sure we do this any more.  We stripped out all the build support for the
> contrib area back in mid-2009: [...]

Thanks for the info, C-Mike.  I committed this in r1051558, without
testing it, and referring to this thread.

Thanks for the patch, Kevin.

- Julian

Re: svn_load_dirs.pl and paths with '@'

Posted by Kevinm <ke...@gmail.com>.
We build and deploy subversion using FreeBSD's ports system. There is a
specific port for svn_load_dirs which replaces SVN_BINDIR and 'corrects' the
path for perl:

${SED} -E \
-e 's|^(#!)/usr/bin/perl[[:>:]]|\1${PERL}|g' \
-e 's|@SVN_BINDIR@|${LOCALBASE}/bin|g' \
${WRKSRC}/svn_load_dirs.pl.in > ${WRKSRC}/svn_load_dirs.pl

Posted by "C. Michael Pilato" <cm...@collab.net>.

Posted by Julian Foad <ju...@wandisco.com>.

Posted by Kevinm <ke...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kevinm <ke...@gmail.com>.