Posted to oro-dev@jakarta.apache.org by "Daniel F. Savarese" <df...@savarese.org> on 2001/05/16 10:02:39 UTC

Re: cvs commit: jakarta-oro/build ant-1.3.jar jaxp.jar parser.jar build-oro.bat build-oro.sh build-oro.xml ant.jar xml.jar

>I think that the current trend is to remove the .sh and .bat files. Require
>people to install Ant. Rename the build-oro.xml file to just build.xml. You

I just followed Velocity's lead.  My personal preference is to require
Jakarta developers to install Ant, but to provide Ant in the source
distribution.  In other words, don't keep Ant jars in CVS, but make it
easy for people to build the software from the source in the tarball.
However, since there's no common infrastructure for pulling down the latest
stable Ant jar for inclusion in a packaged source release, it seems safer
to keep a jar in CVS for the short term (with the intent of eventually
removing it).

Regarding scripts, as long as everything that can be done in a script
can be done in Ant, there's no point in keeping the scripts around.
For jakarta-oro, that's certainly the case right now, but I can see
the possibilty of needing some developer-only scripts that won't go
into the source distribution, most likely for driving some testing
outside of the Ant/JUnit framework.  However, I think it's still
good to include a default build script in a source distribution, again,
to make it as easy as possible for someone consuming a source tarball
and not actually working on the project to do a build.

I don't see any reason not to rename build-oro.xml to build.xml and
was planning on doing it.  But there are going to be development
situations where it's going to be preferable to have more than one
build file, in which case giving the files namespaces is desirable.
Nonetheless, a packaged source distribution should build from the
well-known build.xml.

Anyway, we'll definitely iterate and arrive at something more
satisfactory, converging on a Jakarta-wide convention either by
following or offering guidelines.  Right now I was just trying to
catch up and get the jakarta-site2 stuff going to set the stage for
posting a development plan proposal and a status page.

daniel