Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by "Ebersole, Steven" <st...@vignette.com> on 2002/06/19 17:22:49 UTC

JMS logging

A couple of things:

1) I was wondering how many log4j users using JMS logging are logging to
queues instead of topics.  If a lot, I was thinking it would be benefical to
have a standard appender for JMS queues.  This could either be a seperate
class (I'd be happy to contribute the one I wrote as a starting point)
specifically for logging to queues or modifying the current JMSAppender to
be configurable as to whether to use a queue or topic.

2) The one I wrote allows connection to remote JMS servers by exposing the
InitialContextFactory and ProviderURL to use when establishing the JMS
connection.  I have run into problems when that remote server is restarted,
because all of the resources are allocated in the appender's activateOptions
method which is only called after it is configured by the log4j framework.
As of right now, no attempt is ever made to re-establish a connection in
that scenario; following the pattern of most of the log4j appender it just
fails, writing errors to the configured ErrorHandler.  Is this the most
appropriate course of action?  Or should it attempt ins ome manner to
re-establish the connection?  Time/count-based?  Use of a "threaded
listener" polling for the JMS server to come back online?  Anyone have any
thoughts.

P.S. Ceki, just wanted to let you know that I still plan on helping out with
the JMX code but I have just been completely swamped at work recently...

Steve Ebersole
IT Integration Engineer
Vignette Corporation
512.741.4195