Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by sameer <sa...@c2.net> on 1997/11/07 00:33:56 UTC

Re: general/1376: Server stops servicing requests when log disk is full (fwd)

> Erm.... exactly what are we supposed to do here?
>
> rm -Rf / ?

	stop logging?

--
Sameer Parekh					Voice:   510-986-8770
President					FAX:     510-986-8777

Re: general/1376: Server stops servicing requests when log disk is full (fwd)

Posted by Dean Gaudet <dg...@arctic.org>.
Using a loopback device mount under linux (treats a file as a device) I
created a 256k filesystem, and started apache with error log and
access_log on that filesystem.  Then I used dd to fill the disk.  Then I
hit it with a lot of hits and traced the children, I kept going until the
children were getting ENOSPC for both error_log and access_log writes.

Nothing ill happened.

The only issue is that Apache makes no attempt to report these errors...
it could report ENOSPC once per child per access_log.  But it can't easily
report error_log ENOSPC.  It could report them if syslog is active.  At
any rate I'm not likely to make a patch for this.  But if someone does
make sure you rate limit it to one report per log per child.

Dean

Posted by Dean Gaudet <dg...@arctic.org>.