Posted to user@guacamole.apache.org by Thomas Besser <th...@kit.edu> on 2021/02/16 16:29:32 UTC

Retrieve user groups from LDAP (was: "Default connections" for all authenticated users?)

Am 16.02.21 um 14:26 schrieb Thomas Besser:
> Am 16.02.21 um 09:45 schrieb Mike Jumper:
>> 2) Make sure Guacamole is configured to retrieve user groups from LDAP.
>
> Yes, I forgot that I read about that a few days ago. I tried once
> without success to retrieve groups from LDAP. But that may be based on
> the complex situation regarding LDAP here.
>
> It's a centralized LDAP server, I can access all relevant users and
> groups (according to LDAP_SEARCH_BIND_DN, like
> cn=admin,dc=example,dc=org), but this account is not within
> LDAP_USER_BASE_DN or LDAP_GROUP_BASE_DN. So it is not possible to login
> to guacamole web interface with this account.
>
> If I read https://guacamole.apache.org/doc/gug/ldap-auth.html correct,
> it should be possible, to create that LDAP group manually in database
> with the same name!?
>
> Adding a user (without a password) and configure connections to this
> does work. But creating a group with the same name as in LDAP does not.
>
> The according ldap group is of type "posixGroup" with "memberUid" as
> "ldap-member-attribute" and "uid" as "ldap-member-attribute-type".
> Probably that is the reaseon.
>
> https://guacamole.apache.org/doc/gug/guacamole-docker.html#guacamole-docker-ldap
> does not mention anything to configure this with "optional environment
> variables"
>
> I tried to set environment variables for docker:
> -e LDAP_MEMBER_ATTRIBUTE=memberUid \
> -e LDAP_MEMBER_ATTRIBUTE_TYPE=uid \
>
> But did not work.

A look into the docker container "guacamole" shows that the environment
variables above found the way into the file "guacamole.properties".
There now exists two lines with...

ldap-member-attribute: memberUid
ldap-member-attribute-type: uid

But still no connections are shown when I login with a ldap account
which is member of the configured group.

Am I missing something else?

Regards
Thomas

--
Karlsruher Institut für Technologie (KIT)
archIT [IT-Management der Fakultät Architektur]

KIT - Die Forschungsuniversität in der Helmholtz-Gemeinschaft