Posted to jcp-open@apache.org by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com> on 2007/02/20 16:01:54 UTC

JSR-310 - Date/Time API

I've asked that we be a part of this EG (since we were a supporter).

Any volunteers?

Re: JSR-310 - Date/Time API

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org>.
Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
> I've asked that we be a part of this EG (since we were a supporter).
>
> Any volunteers?

64-bit time_t in TAI; use a point on the surface of the earth to define
clock velocity. It's all anyone needs. Don't let people who use xsd time
types or the International Earth Rotation Service (http://www.iers.org/)
to tell you any different :)

I may sound facetious here, but time is political. the whole reason that
the windows time zone selection dialog doesnt have a map you can click
is because pakistan and india are on different TZs, and the gui put the
disputed territory of Kashmir in to india's TZ.

Even with Time_t you need to deal with leap seconds
  WGS-84 and TAI: none
  UTC: some
  GMT: I think they have longer seconds or something

As for ISO8601, have you noticed there's no way in the spec to declare a
date time without a tz. What if you dont know or care about it?

no, time is a complex beast. You are trying to formalize people's world
view into a number system.

Re: JSR-310 - Date/Time API

Posted by Mario Ivankovits <im...@apache.org>.
Hi Geir!
> No.  That's not an Apache rep, because Apache isn't leading the spec.
>
> Now, is there anyone that wishes to help represent Apache on this? :)
I am not that an expert when it comes to implementation details in this
area, but have written the Hibernate persister for joda-time and
integration converter for MyFaces.
So if there is no one else with more knowledge stands up I'll be happy
to represent Apache.

Ciao,
Mario

Re: JSR-310 - Date/Time API

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.
On Feb 20, 2007, at 1:10 PM, Henri Yandell wrote:

> I'm definitely planning to join the mailing list and get involved [as
> Stephen's promising to do everything he can to make it an open list].
> I've got the JCP docs printed up to send in when Stephen was talking
> about proposing this, but as I failed to get them in on time to vote
> for it and it's going to be open I hadn't seen the need to spend time
> joining the JCP anymore.

You wouldn't have voted anyway :)

That fact that Stephne will run it via open list makes this easier,
so everyone can monitor and participate there.  I'm not sure how
he'll run it - will there be voting?  If so, then we'd want to figure
out a way to decide on "the apache vote" if needed, although w/ an
open list, it sounds like that might not be necessary.

> [seriously, do I have to fax that entire doc in, or can I just send
> the last page?]

call them and ask.  I assume the last page would be fine...

geir

Re: JSR-310 - Date/Time API

Posted by Felipe Leme <fe...@gmail.com>.
On 2/20/07, Henri Yandell <ba...@apache.org> wrote:
> [seriously, do I have to fax that entire doc in, or can I just send
> the last page?]

If you mean the JCPA, as individual member, then I guess it's the
whole document (at least it was a couple of yeas ago, when I joined).

Re: JSR-310 - Date/Time API

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@apache.org>.

Re: JSR-310 - Date/Time API

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
I'm also interested in participating but not leading on this JSR.

Craig

>>> This IS Stephen's JSR - He is going to get Joda into the JDK :-)
>>
>> Missed that ...but then we already have someone in the EG?! Or
>> what am I missing here?
>
> No.  That's not an Apache rep, because Apache isn't leading the spec.
>
> Now, is there anyone that wishes to help represent Apache on this? :)
>
> geir

Craig Russell

Re: JSR-310 - Date/Time API

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.

Re: JSR-310 - Date/Time API

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
it reads like he is the spec lead; not the asf

--
Matthias Wessendorf
http://tinyurl.com/fmywh

further stuff:
mail: mwessendorf-at-gmail-dot-com

Re: JSR-310 - Date/Time API

Posted by Torsten Curdt <tc...@apache.org>.

Re: JSR-310 - Date/Time API

Posted by Mario Ivankovits <im...@apache.org>.
Hi Torsten!

Re: JSR-310 - Date/Time API

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.
yep - it's fairly clear he's going to be involved...

:)

Re: JSR-310 - Date/Time API

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
he is spec lead