Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Carlos Reátegui <cr...@gmail.com> on 2014/07/25 23:55:50 UTC

Moving SVM range

Feeling good about moving my basic network deployment from one subnet to another, I would now like to move the System VM ip range and expand the guest VM range.

I had been sharing the previous subnet with others and only had from .150 up through .249.  The new subnet is all mine.  As part of the re-IP I moved the hosts down to .30-.36.  Now I want to move the system VMs from .160-.174 to .50-.64 (BTW what is a good number of IPs to reserve for system VMs?).  After that I want to bring down the Guest VM IP start from .175 to .100 or so.

I was planning on stopping all instances and system VMs prior to shutting down the MS and making sure in XenCenter that they were destroyed.

My initial thought is to script iterating through each of the IPs in the current SVM range (i.e. .160-.180) and do a global replace with .50-.64.  This would take care of most tables like: host, host_pod_ref, nics, op_dc_ip_address_alloc, vm_instance.  Since I am not expanding/contracting this range of IPs it seems simple enough.

Then for the expansion of the Guest range seems like I need to edit vlan.  But then the tricky one appears to be the user_ip_address table.  Seems like it has pre-defined rows for all IPs and their current state (i.e. allocated or not).  Will CS automatically fill this in for me if it notices a discrepancy with the range in vlan?  Do I need to create the missing entries myself?  Can I use uuidgen to generate uuids?  Can I insert the new ones after the existing ones (or should they all be in increasing ip values)?  If I put them in order I need to change the id but what about the mac_address column.  It looks like that value matches the last octet of the MAC in the nic table so I should probably leave the existing ones as is and that column won’t be ordered.

any other thoughts?

thanks,
Carlos