Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by Bill O'Donnell <bi...@billo.com> on 1997/12/30 17:06:39 UTC

os-windows/1607: apache 1.3b3 hangs on concurrent CGI (still) ref bug 1129

>Number:         1607
>Category:       os-windows
>Synopsis:       apache 1.3b3 hangs on concurrent CGI (still) ref bug 1129
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
Get simlutaneous CGI invocations and hang apache server process. Killing the
active child process gets things going again, but then it will just hang up
again when concurrent CGI's are invoked.  Seems to happen more easily
on slow machines.

This is (I believe) the same as bug 1129, which is in feedback state with
the question "Does it still happen in 1.3b3?"  It does.

I'm totally shocked that many people aren't reporting this, since
it isn't hard to reproduce.  I guess most people testing apache on NT
are serving static pages, or using ISAPI or Apache modules?

At first I thought it was only me because my HTTP client is using keep-alives
on my CGI program, and maybe that was a little more unusual.  But I rewrote
my client to reconnect on each request, and it still happens.

Thanks.
>How-To-Repeat:
I am at this moment writing a dummy CGI and HTTP client program to
demonstrate this.  When complete, I'll put them at http://www.billo.com/apache
with instructions.  Should be there by the end of the day today (12/30/97),
email me with any questions (billo@billo.com)
>Fix:
No suggestions, but I'll contribute whatever I can to get this fixed.
It will have my full attention, since the alternative is using Microsoft IIS.
Yuckola. (Actually I'll probably write it as an apache module before I do
that.)

%0