Posted to dev@spark.apache.org by Nasser Ebrahim <en...@linux.vnet.ibm.com> on 2016/09/12 14:00:40 UTC

GZIP compression support for Spark internal data

Hi,

Can we use GZIP compression for internal data such as RDD partitions,
broadcast variables and shuffle outputs so that user will have more
choice compared to the available LZ4, LZF and Snappy?  Is there any
specific reason we are not supporting the JDK inbuilt compression? If
not, shall I create a JIRA to get this implemented.

Thank you,
Nasser Ebrahim

Re: GZIP compression support for Spark internal data

Posted by Nasser Ebrahim <en...@linux.vnet.ibm.com>.
Thank you Takeshi for sharing the info. I agree with Patrick and you
that there is no point in adding more codec unless it is showing better
performance results (at least with some work loads on some platforms).
The performance of GZIP depends upon its implementation on the
platforms. Will do some performance tests to see how it is performing
compared to the existing codec in spark.

Posted by Takeshi Yamamuro <li...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

--
---