Posted to dev@tapestry.apache.org by Mindbridge <mi...@yahoo.com> on 2004/06/13 10:37:25 UTC

Re: [ANN] Tapestry Deli

[moving this to tapestry-dev]

Hi,

> I'm wondering if it would be better if all tapestry components be put into
> a tapestry subproject.  That way they can continue to evolve after the
> official release.

Yes, good point.

My intention is to use the components in Base (and the corresponding
feedback from people) for a proposal for a possible evolution of the
standard Tapestry components in 3.1. Other people (Howard being one) have
expressed a view for combining the form and non-form components into one as
well, the exact way to do this has not been agreed yet however. The For
component also has one little addition in the face of IPrimaryKeyConvertor,
we have to see if that is useful.

I also intended to propose to add the Checkbox stuff once it matures to
contrib -- it ties nicely with Table and possibly Tree among other things,
so I guess we are of one mind here.

This is probably not going to be true for other components, however.  A CVS,
such as the one on Tacos, will be necessary if collaborative development is
needed. For small stuff it probably wouldn't be, however.

> Also I was looking at the Tapestry-Base source and noticed that it reads
> Copyright Apache Software Foundation.  Is this right?  Have the rights
been
> assigned to the ASF?  If so shouldn't it be hosted at the ASF?

Not exactly...
The reason the header is there is because this is my standard file prefix
for new Tapestry-related files :). Since I intended the code to be ASL
anyway, I did not read the text carefully and left it intact. I guess some
modification is in order.

(Technically, though, Apache has a signed agreement from me for transfer of
copyright, so this should not be a big deal, especially in light of the
first part of the message).

-mb

Re: [ANN] Tapestry Deli

Posted by Robert Zeigler <rd...@u.arizona.edu>.

> A low barrier to entry place to develop these components still makes
> sense so I can still see the need to a taco's like repository
> (hopefully) with the view to contributing back to tapestry later.

I've actually started working on a component repository, the idea being
that people could easily add new components, search for existing ones,
makes notes and comments on components, rate them, submit patches,
receive notification of updates, etc.,  Unfortunately, progress is a bit
slow as I'm currently working 3 jobs as well as doing volunteer work
with a youth organization.  This week is going to be extremely busy, but
I'm hoping to hit the repository project hard next week and maybe get
some sort of pre-beta version out. =)

Robert

Re: [ANN] Tapestry Deli

Posted by Glen Stampoultzis <gs...@iinet.net.au>.
At 06:37 PM 13/06/2004, Mindbridge wrote:
>[moving this to tapestry-dev]
>
>Hi,
>
> > I'm wondering if it would be better if all tapestry components be put into
> > a tapestry subproject.  That way they can continue to evolve after the
> > official release.
>
>Yes, good point.
>
>My intention is to use the components in Base (and the corresponding
>feedback from people) for a proposal for a possible evolution of the
>standard Tapestry components in 3.1. Other people (Howard being one) have
>expressed a view for combining the form and non-form components into one as
>well, the exact way to do this has not been agreed yet however. The For
>component also has one little addition in the face of IPrimaryKeyConvertor,
>we have to see if that is useful.
>
>I also intended to propose to add the Checkbox stuff once it matures to
>contrib -- it ties nicely with Table and possibly Tree among other things,
>so I guess we are of one mind here.
>

>This is probably not going to be true for other components, however.  A CVS,
>such as the one on Tacos, will be necessary if collaborative development is
>needed. For small stuff it probably wouldn't be, however.

A low barrier to entry place to develop these components still makes sense
so I can still see the need to a taco's like repository (hopefully) with
the view to contributing back to tapestry later.

> > Also I was looking at the Tapestry-Base source and noticed that it reads
> > Copyright Apache Software Foundation.  Is this right?  Have the rights
>been
> > assigned to the ASF?  If so shouldn't it be hosted at the ASF?
>
>Not exactly...
>The reason the header is there is because this is my standard file prefix
>for new Tapestry-related files :). Since I intended the code to be ASL
>anyway, I did not read the text carefully and left it intact. I guess some
>modification is in order.
>
>(Technically, though, Apache has a signed agreement from me for transfer of
>copyright, so this should not be a big deal, especially in light of the
>first part of the message).

Right... not a problem.  I was just confused when I read that.

Regards,

Glen Stampoultzis
glens@apache.org