Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com> on 2006/11/28 19:55:19 UTC

[Fwd: Re: StackOverflowError while calling IndexReader.deleteDocuments(new Term())]

I think this (that under certain use cases, IndexWriter can create >
mergeFactor segments even when maxMergeDocs is very large) is actually
fairly serious.

I wonder how many users are affected by this now.

It's not called out currently in CHANGES.txt but I think it should be
(this would be under LUCENE-672 I think)?  Is there a simple way to
characterize the cases when this would happen?

Mike

Re: [Fwd: Re: StackOverflowError while calling IndexReader.deleteDocuments(new Term())]

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.
Yonik Seeley wrote:
> On 11/28/06, Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com> wrote:
>>
>> I think this (that under certain use cases, IndexWriter can create >
>> mergeFactor segments even when maxMergeDocs is very large) is actually
>> fairly serious.
>>
>> I wonder how many users are affected by this now.
>>
>> It's not called out currently in CHANGES.txt but I think it should be
>> (this would be under LUCENE-672 I think)?  Is there a simple way to
>> characterize the cases when this would happen?
>>
>> Mike
>
> http://www.nabble.com/flushRamSegments%28%29-is-%22over-merging%22--tf2108069.html#a5816291
>

> If the number of buffered docs at the close plus the number of docs in
> the last non-ram segment was greater than mergeFactor, then a new
> segment would be created.
>
> Still doesn't roll off the toungue nicely, but I agree an update to
> CHANGES calling this out might be in order.

OK, super, thanks!  I will update CHANGES.txt to call this out.

I will also attempt to catch up on that thread (and all the related
ones)!  I remember at the time thinking "if only I could understand
what they are talking about..."  :)

I think this issue (well, its fix really) is also [a bit] more
pressure for a 2.1 release sooner rather than later...

Posted by Yonik Seeley <yo...@apache.org>.
On 11/28/06, Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com> wrote:

> I think this (that under certain use cases, IndexWriter can create >
> mergeFactor segments even when maxMergeDocs is very large) is actually
> fairly serious.
>
> I wonder how many users are affected by this now.
>
> It's not called out currently in CHANGES.txt but I think it should be
> (this would be under LUCENE-672 I think)?  Is there a simple way to
> characterize the cases when this would happen?
>
> Mike

http://www.nabble.com/flushRamSegments%28%29-is-%22over-merging%22--tf2108069.html#a5816291

If the number of buffered docs at the close plus the number of docs in
the last non-ram segment was greater than mergeFactor, then a new
segment would be created.

Still doesn't roll off the toungue nicely, but I agree an update to
CHANGES calling this out might be in order.

-Yonik