Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Giles Sirett <gi...@shapeblue.com> on 2020/12/24 12:01:47 UTC

[discuss] CentOS announcement

You may have seen this news recently announced by Redhat and the CentOS project.  [1] [2]

At this early stage, it looks like   CentOS Stream will not provide the stability that we probably expect

So, what Linux distro should we be targeting for MS and  KVM agents going forward  ?  I guess this is a decision that we have to make as a project.

CentOS 7 will receive full updates only until the year end (Q4 2020) and maintenance updates will continue until 30 June 2024, so I don't think we need to rush this decision. Also, I think that there will be a lot of emerging competitors to fill the void, like the recent announcement of Rocky. [3] gives a good summary of current choices

 I guess, actually, the question is: *when* should we aim to make this decision ?  - the advantage of leaving it is we are able to see what others settle on.

[1] Red Hat makes drastic changes to CentOS, leaves users fuming | TechRadar<https://www.techradar.com/news/red-hat-makes-drastic-changes-to-centos-leaves-users-fuming>

[2] CentOS Project shifts focus to CentOS Stream - Blog.CentOS.org<https://blog.centos.org/2020/12/future-is-centos-stream/>
[3] About/Product - CentOS Wiki<https://wiki.centos.org/About/Product>
[4] Where CentOS Linux users can go from here | ZDNet<https://www.zdnet.com/article/where-centos-linux-users-can-go-from-here/>

Kind regards
Giles

giles.sirett@shapeblue.com
www.shapeblue.com
@shapeblue

Re: [discuss] CentOS announcement

Posted by Matthew Smart <ms...@smartsoftwareinc.com>.
My hope is that Fermilab will announce it is reversing its decision to
discontinue Scientific Linux as of RHEL 7. It was only about a year ago
that they decided to stop the project and contribute to CentOS instead.
When Centos was having organizational issues a few years ago I switched
to Scientific Linux for pretty much the whole RHEL 6 cycle. Having a
distro shepherded by Fermilab with contributions from other major labs
would ensure stability and operational decisions that are not profit
motivated. Their board plans to issue a statement on the Centos issue
next month.

Matthew Smart
President
Smart Software Solutions Inc.
108 S Pierre St.
Pierre, SD 57501

Phone: (605) 280-0383
Skype: msmart13
Email: msmart@smartsoftwareinc.com

--
Daan

Re: [discuss] CentOS announcement

Posted by Daan Hoogland <da...@gmail.com>.

--
Daan

Re: [discuss] CentOS announcement

Posted by Rohit Yadav <ro...@shapeblue.com>.
(looks like pressing enter sent the email)

Here's the doc PR: https://github.com/apache/cloudstack-documentation/pull/173

Regards.

Posted by Rohit Yadav <ro...@shapeblue.com>.

Posted by Wido den Hollander <wi...@widodh.nl>.