Posted to dev@couchdb.apache.org by Damien Katz <da...@gmail.com> on 2008/06/27 21:17:11 UTC

0.8.0 upgrade scripts

We need scripts to upgrade couchdb to 0.7 to 0.8. The first script
will dump a database to a json text file, then the server is upgraded
and restarted, then the second script reposts the dumped data back to
the server.

Also a closely related thing is incremental backup and restore
scripts. A backup script incrementally dumps db changes to text files,
and a restore script that posts the data back. I'm thinking we'll need
some couchdb API enhancements to make this fast as possible, but it's
perfectly doable with the current API.

Any volunteers?

Re: 0.8.0 upgrade scripts

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 04:43:00PM -0400, Damien Katz wrote:
> For the backup tools, I was hoping for something using shell scripts and
> CURL, but I'm not sure thats possible though without enhancements to to
> the HTTP server. I don't want to add a long term dependency on Python
> just for backup tools.

IMO, Python is pretty pervasive. Adding it as a dependency wouldn't be Too Bad
considering the benefits it could afford us.

The first thing I could do is rewrite the couchdb/couchjs scripts for robustness
and to make use of getopt's --long-options which the bourn shell is unable to
offer in a portable way.

--
Noah Slater, http://people.apache.org/~nslater/

Re: 0.8.0 upgrade scripts

Posted by Damien Katz <da...@gmail.com>.
Oh yeah, if that works then great!

For the backup tools, I was hoping for something using shell scripts
and CURL, but I'm not sure thats possible though without enhancements
to to the HTTP server. I don't want to add a long term dependency on
Python just for backup tools.

-Damien

Re: 0.8.0 upgrade scripts

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.