Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Sheryl <gu...@his.com> on 2007/11/30 17:20:23 UTC

[users@httpd] httpd 2.0.53 mod_auth and virtual host problem

Hi,

I hope someone can help me with this,  Someone else set up a site a few
years ago and it's only used once a year.  It worked in previous years
and presumably hasn't changed, but now it's not working.  The person who
set it up has taken another job and probably wouldn't remember anything
anyway.

The site is set up so that if people come in from one of the allowed IPs
they don't have to log in.  Anybody else has to log in with the usual
mod_auth stuff.

The site structure is set up like this

  htdocs/main directory
             |__ site1
             |__ site2
             |__ site3
             |__ main site
             |__ site5

Users start by trying to access the "main site" URL.  If they come in
on an IP which is not in an Allow statement they are prompted for a
login and get in to "main site".  The page comes up just fine.  Then
they click on a link that takes them to one of the other sites.  Their
browser just sits there indefinitely, spinning.  In the logs for "site2"
I see an access_log entry for their IP but "-" instead of the login ID
and 401 401 (Not Authorized) in the return codes.

The main directory's Directory directive and virtual host definitions
are outlined below.  Any help appreciated.  I've read all the mod_auth
and mod_access stuff on the Apache site, wasn't able to figure out
how to formulate a search for the archives.

Thanks,

Sheryl

<Directory .../htdocs/main_directory>
  Options -Indexes FollowSymLinks MultiViews
  AllowOverride AuthConfig
  AuthType Basic
  AuthName "Authorized User"
  AuthUserFile /path/to/htpasswd_file
  Require valid-user
  Order Allow,Deny
#
  Allow from IP1
  Allow from IP2 (and so forth)
#
  Satisfy any
</Directory>

NameVirtualHost IP.number:80

<VirtualHost IP.number:80>
  ServerName, ServerAlias, log directives, etc
  (no authentication info in the virtualhost directives)
</VirtualHost>

repeat VirtualHost block for each host.