Posted to c-dev@xerces.apache.org by Bill Boggs <sc...@yahoo.com> on 2002/10/02 21:42:54 UTC

SAX2Count > 3MB when statically linked ????

SAX2Count  > 3MB when statically linked ????

I'm a newbie ... does this make sense ?  Is the API that expansive and does it have that many dependencies within it ?

All I'm looking for is any command-line app for validating XML/DTD.  I was going to use SAX2Count.

RE: SAX2Count > 3MB when statically linked ????

Posted by Brad Settlemyer <bw...@strongholdtech.com>.
Please post to the list in plain text rather than HTML (more people will be
able to read your email, and thus offer help).

No, on UNIX, many linkers fast link the entire static library to an
executable creating a larger than neccesary executable.  Using the strip
command, you can pull out all unreferenced symbols, thus shrinking the
executable.  As you mention DLL's, it is clear that you are using a
Microsoft platform, and I do not know much about that platform and its
linking process.

As you are just trying to develop a validation service (which many XML
editors provide on the MS platform from what I've heard), it doesn't sound
like the executable size should be a big deal anyway.  The sample programs
are probably a good place to start, as your handler needs are very basic.
You should only need to edit the ErrorHandler Overrides (warning, error, and
fatal error), and then you'll probably want to override the contenthandlers
system id to gain access to that (in general your content handler will have
to inherit from or give access to your error handler anyway when working
with SAX2).

cheers,
Brad

Posted by Bill Boggs <sc...@yahoo.com>.
[...]