Posted to user@synapse.apache.org by Jens Goldhammer <go...@googlemail.com> on 2008/03/20 10:45:21 UTC

Does ws-rm work with jms?

Hello,

I have a question according ws-rm! Does it also work with jms as
underlying application protocol? In my mind it would make sense to have
reliablity information in the soap-message itself (to make switches
between the protocols), but jms also provides reliable aspects.

Thanks,
Jens

Re: Does ws-rm work with jms?

Posted by Jens Goldhammer <go...@googlemail.com>.
Me again,

I have made some further thoughts:
If I have an infrastructure like an ESB, I will have something similar
to JMS if the implementation supports WS-RM and a message store. Let´s
say that the serviceprovider is down and not available in the time of
sending a message to the esb. The difference is now that the ESB polls
messages out to get a first connection to an endpoint, while jms uses
another approach by fetching the message from the queue. Can you
evaluate if this overhead is something which makes http useless in the
case that the provider is often not down? Do you see any usecase for
using ws-rm than because it produces so much overhead? It is not better
to use jms than http?

Thanks,
Jens

Re: Does ws-rm work with jms?

Posted by Jens Goldhammer <go...@googlemail.com>.
Glen, Paul,

thanks for the comments. Do you really see soap-transport of http on one
level like jms with the complete ws-specs like ws-notification?
HTTP has the problem of being limited to point-to-point communications
and having only synchronous invocations. But does jms not having the
same problems? You can only send one message to one queue, the
infrastructure takes the rest (can take your messages and deliver them
to different endpoints or other queues). In my eyes, Synapse can take
that too with messages over http with a clone-mediator!
The other thing is that http expects an answer from the other partner, a
202 is enough. JMS underlies the same thing because you have to
completely send a message and e.g. get back the jms-message-id after a
successfull delivery to the queue. So the asynchronous thing only
belongs also to the infrastructure.

Do you agree with me? Or I am wrong?
Thanks,
Jens