Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Stas Oskin <st...@gmail.com> on 2009/08/06 19:46:12 UTC

HADOOP-4539 question

Hi.

I checked this ticket and I like what I found.

Had question about it, and hoped someone can answer it:

If I have a NN, and BN, and the NN fails, how the DFS clients will know how
to connect to the new IP?

It will be a config level setting?

Or it needs to be achieved via external Linux HA scripts?

Thanks!

Re: HADOOP-4539 question

Posted by Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com>.
On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 7:50 AM, Edward Capriolo <ed...@gmail.com>wrote:

> >Storing the only copy of the NN data into NFS would make the NFS server an
> > SPOF, and you still need to solve the problems of
>
> @Steve correct. It is hair splitting but Stas asked if there was an
> approach that did not use DRBD. Linux-HA + NFS, or Linux-HA plus SAN
> does not use DRBD. Implicitly, I think he meant is there any approach
> that does not rely on "shared storage", but DRBD and Linux-HA are
> separate entities although they are often employed together.

Well, if you want to look at it another way, DRBD is just shared storage
that happens to work with a pair of nodes rather than an external device.
It's still a shared block device that's synchronized, right?

When discussing HA it's easy to conflate the failover mechanism and the
shared storage mechanism. Linux-HA is just a failover mechanism, with
configuration that can determine which node gets to be the master, and
hopefully enough magic that you won't have two of them (split brain
syndrome). When the standby namenode needs to become master, it has to get
the data somehow, and that's where you need some shared storage. As people
above mentioned, DRBD is but one of several viable options.

Regarding vanilla NFS for the shared storage, I wouldn't consider it a SPOF
- since the namenode can sync its edit log to multiple volumes, you can have
it write to its local disk as well as the NFS server. If the NFS server goes
down, the NN keeps running. If the NN goes down, the NFS server still has
the edit log. It's only if both of them go down that you are out of luck. If
both go down it's probably because your datacenter lost power, and then
you're screwed anyway, to put it bluntly :)

-Todd

Re: HADOOP-4539 question

Posted by Edward Capriolo <ed...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 6:03 AM, Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org> wrote:
> Edward Capriolo wrote:
>

>> Just for reference. Linux HA and some other tools deal with the split
>> brain decisions by requiring a quorum. A quorum involves having a
>> third party or having more then 50% of the nodes agree.
>>
>> An issue with linux-ha and hadoop is that linux-ha is only
>> supported/tested on clusters of up to 16 nodes.
>
> Usually odd numbers; stops a 50%-50% split.
>
>> That is not a hard
>> limit, but no one claims to have done it on 1000 or so nodes.
>
> If the voting algorithm requires communication with every node then there is
> an implicit limit.
>

>> You
>> could just install linux HA on a random sampling of 10 nodes across
>> your network. That would in theory create an effective quorum.
>

>> There are other HA approaches that do not involve DRBD. One is store
>> your name node table on a SAN or and NFS server. Terracotta is another
>> option that you might want to look at. But no, at the moment there is
>> no fail-over built into hadoop.
>
> Storing the only copy of the NN data into NFS would make the NFS server an
> SPOF, and you still need to solve the problems of  -detecting NN failure and
> deciding who else is in charge
> -making another node the NN by giving it the same hostname/IPAddr as the one
> that went down.
>
> That is what the linux HA stuff promises
>
> -steve
>

>> An issue with linux-ha and hadoop is that linux-ha is only
>> supported/tested on clusters of up to 16 nodes.
>
> Usually odd numbers; stops a 50%-50% split.

@Steve correct. I was getting at the fact that unless you have your HA
cluster manager on every node in the cluster your HA Cluster manager
may be making a correct decision for the configuration, but it may not
be making the optimal decision. The only way for linux-ha to make an
optimal decisions is to install it on every node in the hadoop
cluster.

Linux HA has is tested/tested supported on more then 16 nodes. I had a
thread about this on the Linux-HA mailing list 16 is not a hard limit,
but no one has attempted larger definitely their target is not in the
thousands.

Re: HADOOP-4539 question

Posted by Stas Oskin <st...@gmail.com>.
Hi.

Just wanted to reflect my thoughts on this:

So far DRBD looks as a good enough solution. My only problem, is that it
requires from me to operate dedicate machines (physical or virtual) for
Hadoop Namenode, in active/passive configuration.

I'm interesting in HADOOP-4539 mostly because it would enable me to run the
Namenode together with other services, and it could open a way to
Active/Active HA in Hadoop (as the next iteration of 4539).

Regards.

Re: HADOOP-4539 question

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org>.
Edward Capriolo wrote:

> Just for reference. Linux HA and some other tools deal with the split
> brain decisions by requiring a quorum. A quorum involves having a
> third party or having more then 50% of the nodes agree.
>
> An issue with linux-ha and hadoop is that linux-ha is only
> supported/tested on clusters of up to 16 nodes.

Usually odd numbers; stops a 50%-50% split.

>That is not a hard
> limit, but no one claims to have done it on 1000 or so nodes.

If the voting algorithm requires communication with every node then
there is an implicit limit.

> You
> could just install linux HA on a random sampling of 10 nodes across
> your network. That would in theory create an effective quorum.

> There are other HA approaches that do not involve DRBD. One is store
> your name node table on a SAN or and NFS server. Terracotta is another
> option that you might want to look at. But no, at the moment there is
> no fail-over built into hadoop.

Storing the only copy of the NN data into NFS would make the NFS server
an SPOF, and you still need to solve the problems of  -detecting NN

Re: HADOOP-4539 question

Posted by Edward Capriolo <ed...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Sep 20, 2009 at 7:38 PM, Stas Oskin <st...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi.
>
> Just wanted to find out about the status of this feature.
>
> Any idea what release this is planned for?
>
> Regards.
>
> 2009/8/17 Edward Capriolo <ed...@gmail.com>
>
>> There are some native ha like solutions that feature clustering
>> electing a dc and messaging. Check out shoal. I tinkered with build a
>> linux ha like kit over shoal.
>>
>> On 8/13/09, Konstantin Shvachko <sh...@yahoo-inc.com> wrote:
>> > There is no "native" HA solution for HDFS at the moment.
>> > "External" HA solutions, like Coudera's may exist.
>> > Cannot speak for everybody, but I know at least one different approach.
>> >
>> > --Konstantin

>>  DRDB

Just for reference. Linux HA and some other tools deal with the split
brain decisions by requiring a quorum. A quorum involves having a
third party or having more then 50% of the nodes agree.

An issue with linux-ha and hadoop is that linux-ha is only
supported/tested on clusters of up to 16 nodes. That is not a hard
limit, but no one claims to have done it on 1000 or so nodes. You

Re: HADOOP-4539 question

Posted by Stas Oskin <st...@gmail.com>.
Hi.

Re: HADOOP-4539 question

Posted by Edward Capriolo <ed...@gmail.com>.

Re: HADOOP-4539 question

Posted by Konstantin Shvachko <sh...@yahoo-inc.com>.

Re: HADOOP-4539 question

Posted by Stas Oskin <st...@gmail.com>.
Hi.

Re: HADOOP-4539 question

Posted by Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com>.
On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 10:37 AM, Konstantin Shvachko <sh...@yahoo-inc.com>wrote:

> Steve,
>
> There are other groups claimed they work on HA solution.
> We had discussions about it not so long ago in this list.
> Is it possible that your colleagues present their design?
> As you point out the issue gets fairly complex fast,
> particularly because of the split-brain problem you describe.

IMHO the split-brain problem is why failover has to either be triggered
manually, or has to be done by an external system like Linux-HA where you
can get multiple media connecting the two masters. In the past I've done
this for firewalls and DB servers using a null modem serial connection plus
a crossover plus pings over the LAN - with 3 separate heartbeats it's very
tough to get a split brain. If you absolutely must avoid it, you can also
trigger a "STONITH" policy: http://linux-ha.org/STONITH

Re: HADOOP-4539 question

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org>.
Konstantin Shvachko wrote:
> Steve,
>
> There are other groups claimed they work on HA solution.
> We had discussions about it not so long ago in this list.
> Is it possible that your colleagues present their design?
> As you point out the issue gets fairly complex fast,
> particularly because of the split-brain problem you describe.

Konstantin, if we had an HA HDFS, you'd know about it, not least because
I'd be trying to get it checked in.

I was just describing the general datacentre partitioning problem that
crops up in all HA databases.

Johan mentions it : http://www.slideshare.net/steve_l/hdfs

> Why would they not worry about consistency?
> Consistency of what?#

imagine you have >1 NN, each with a view of the world as reported by the
DNs, the map of where blocks live. If you dont do failover, but maintain
separate directory structures in each NN, then you can have the two NN's
indices diverge, without worrying about reconciling them later.

-steve

Re: HADOOP-4539 question

Posted by Konstantin Shvachko <sh...@yahoo-inc.com>.
Steve,