Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Michael Busch <bu...@gmail.com> on 2007/10/20 10:09:54 UTC

Re: Per-document Payloads

John Wang wrote:
> Hi Michael:
>      Thanks for the info.
>
>      I haven't played with payloads. Can you give me an example or point me
> to how it is used to solve this problem?

Hi John,

I (quickly) put together a class that is able to store UIDs as payloads.
I believe the type of your UIDs is Integer?

To add the UID to a document use this method:
  /**
   *  Adds a unique docId (UID) to a document as a payload.
   */
  public void addUID(Document doc, int uid);

You can either load the UID from the disk or use a cache:

 /** Returns the UID for the passed-in docId.
  *  If you use this method in a Hitcollector and your Query
  *  contains OR-terms, then try to set
  *  BooleanQuery.setAllowDocsOutOfOrder(false) to improve performance.
  */
  public int getUID(IndexReader reader, int docId) throws IOException;

  /** Fills the passed-in array with UID-values. If the given array is
   *  null or too small, then a new array is created with
   *  cache.length = reader.maxDoc()
   */
  public int[] getCachedIds(IndexReader reader, int[] cache, int offset)
   throws IOException;

I put a little test program in main and it seems to work fine. However,
it's not thoroughly tested yet...

You might want to try it without using the cache first. The performance
might be good enough for your needs. If not, try using the cache, it
should fill up much faster compared to the FieldCache.

Another comment: If you're using Lucene 2.2, you need to replace the
lines "tp.seek(UID_TERM);" (see comments in the code below). Or use the
latest trunk version, it has a fix for this bug.

Let me know please if this improves your performance! Have fun...
- Michael

And here is the code:

import java.io.IOException;

import org.apache.lucene.analysis.Token;
import org.apache.lucene.analysis.TokenStream;
import org.apache.lucene.document.Field.Index;
import org.apache.lucene.document.Field.Store;
import org.apache.lucene.index.Payload;
import org.apache.lucene.index.Term;
import org.apache.lucene.index.TermPositions;
import org.apache.lucene.store.Directory;

public class PerDocPayloadReaderWriter {
  public static final Term UID_TERM = new Term("_ID", "_UID");
  private SinglePayloadTokenStream singlePayloadTokenStream = new
SinglePayloadTokenStream();
  private TermPositions tp;
  private byte[] payloadBuffer = new byte[4];

  public static void main(String args[]) throws IOException {
    PerDocPayloadReaderWriter pdp = new PerDocPayloadReaderWriter();
    Directory dir = new RAMDirectory();
    IndexWriter writer = new IndexWriter(dir, new StandardAnalyzer());
    for (int i = 0; i < 10; i++) {
      Document d = new Document();
      // create dummy doc
      d.add(new Field("test", "This is a test.", Store.NO,
Index.TOKENIZED));
      pdp.addUID(d, 100 + i);

      writer.addDocument(d);
    }
    writer.close();

    IndexReader reader = IndexReader.open(dir);
    int[] uids = pdp.getCachedIds(reader, null, 0);

    System.out.println("Caching:");
    System.out.println("ID --> UID");

    for (int i = 0; i < uids.length; i++) {
      System.out.println(i + "  --> " + uids[i]);
    }

    System.out.println("\nDirect access:");
    System.out.println("ID --> UID");

    for (int i = 0; i < uids.length; i++) {
      System.out.println(i + "  --> " + pdp.getUID(reader, i));
    }
    reader.close();
  }

  /** Fills the passed-in array with UID-values. If the given array is
null or too small, then
   * a new array is created with cache.length = reader.maxDoc()
   */
  public int[] getCachedIds(IndexReader reader, int[] cache, int offset)
throws IOException {
    int maxDoc = reader.maxDoc();
    if (cache == null || cache.length - offset > maxDoc) {
      cache = new int[maxDoc];
      offset = 0;
    }

    if (tp == null) {
      tp = reader.termPositions(UID_TERM);
    } else {
      // if using Lucene 2.2 replace the following line with
      // tp = reader.termPositions(UID_TERM);
      tp.seek(UID_TERM);
    }

    while (tp.next()) {
      assert tp.doc() < maxDoc;
      if (!reader.isDeleted(tp.doc())) {
        tp.nextPosition();
        tp.getPayload(payloadBuffer, 0);
        cache[tp.doc() + offset] = bytesToInt(payloadBuffer);
      }
    }

    return cache;
  }

  /** Returns the UID for the passed-in docId.
   *  If you use this method in a Hitcollector and your Query contains
OR-terms,
   *  then try to set BooleanQuery.setAllowDocsOutOfOrder(false) to
improve performance.
   */
  public int getUID(IndexReader reader, int docId) throws IOException {
    if (tp == null) {
      tp = reader.termPositions(UID_TERM);
    } else if (tp.doc()> docId) {
      // if using Lucene 2.2 replace the following line with
      // tp = reader.termPositions(UID_TERM);
      tp.seek(UID_TERM);
    }

    tp.skipTo(docId);
    tp.nextPosition();
    tp.getPayload(payloadBuffer, 0);

    return bytesToInt(payloadBuffer);
  }

  /**
   * Adds a unique docId (UID) to a document as a payload.
   */
  public void addUID(Document doc, int uid) {
    singlePayloadTokenStream.setUID(uid);
    doc.add(new Field(UID_TERM.field(), singlePayloadTokenStream));
  }

  private int bytesToInt(byte[] bytes) {
    return ((bytes[3] & 0xFF) << 24) | ((bytes[2] & 0xFF) << 16)
    | ((bytes[1] & 0xFF) <<  8) |  (bytes[0] & 0xFF);

  }

  private static class SinglePayloadTokenStream extends TokenStream {
    private Token token = new Token(UID_TERM.text(), 0, 0);
    private byte[] buffer = new byte[4];
    private boolean returnToken = false;

    void setUID(int uid) {
      buffer[0] = (byte) (uid);
      buffer[1] = (byte) (uid >> 8);
      buffer[2] = (byte) (uid >> 16);
      buffer[3] = (byte) (uid >> 24);
      token.setPayload(new Payload(buffer));
      returnToken = true;
    }

    public Token next() throws IOException {
      if (returnToken) {
        returnToken = false;
        return token;
      } else {
        return null;
      }
    }
  }
}

Re: Per-document Payloads

Posted by John Wang <jo...@gmail.com>.
Hi Micahel:
    After removing isDelete(), the index loads in 430 ms.

Thanks

-john

Re: Per-document Payloads

Posted by Michael Busch <bu...@gmail.com>.

Re: Per-document Payloads

Posted by John Wang <jo...@gmail.com>.
Hi Michael:

    I took your program and benchmarked against my setup, here are some
numbers comparing to the other options:

Setup: 2M docs with only the id, indexed in various ways for each method

randomly selected 50000 of the docids and do a lookup.

Comparing 3 methods:

1) load int[] from field cache
    Field(fldname,uid,Stored.No,Index.Tokenized);    lucene 2.2

2) using payload (your impl)            lucene 2.2

3) using our custom made lucene, described by my early email
   no fields added, just doc.setUserID(uid);  // since we are adding our own
segment file. (custome lucene 2.0)

Since all three methods loads docids into an int[], the lookup time is the
same for all three methods, what's
different are the load times:

1) 16.5 seconds,      43 MB
2) 590 milliseconds     32.5 MB
3) 186 milliseconds  26MB

I think the payload method is good enough so we don't need to diverge from
the lucene code base. However, I feel that being able to customize the