Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Philippe Ombredanne <po...@nexb.com> on 2020/01/15 15:09:47 UTC

[ANNOUNCE] Open source license compliance tooling meeting and hackathon on January 31st 2020 pre-FOSDEM fringe event in Bruxelles, Belgium

If you care about open source compliance automation and if you are
going to FOSDEM there is a one day hackathon and meeting taking place
the day before FOSDEM on Friday January 31st as "fringe" event, in
Bruxelles, Belgium.

The topic is open source compliance tooling and automation... the
format is an unconference. I expect several open source projects in
that space to be represented there including ORT, Fossology,
ClearlyDefined, SPDX tools, Scancode and many more.

I am co-organizing this with Michael Jaeger from Fossology.

See https://docs.google.com/document/d/1UphruKKAlsoUEidPCwTF2LCcHFnQkvQCQ9luTXfDupw/edit#heading=h.p2d7mni4lrcu
for details.

To "register", just add you name to this document! (alternatively you
can reply to me off list too)

I look forward to seeing you there!
--
Cordially
Philippe Ombredanne

+1 650 799 0949 | pombredanne@nexB.com
DejaCode - What's in your code?! - http://www.dejacode.com
AboutCode - Open source for open source - https://www.aboutcode.org
nexB Inc. - http://www.nexb.com

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Open source license compliance tooling meeting and hackathon on January 31st 2020 pre-FOSDEM fringe event in Bruxelles, Belgium

Posted by Fantri Fitriani <fa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Hen <ba...@apache.org>.
wrote:

> Roman and Jim:
>
> On Thu, Jan 16, 2020 at 6:12 PM Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>
> wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, Jan 16, 2020 at 5:03 AM Jim Jagielski <ji...@jagunet.com> wrote:
> > > This email was, IMO, inappropriate for this list.
> >
> > FTR: I disagree with the above statement.
>
> Roman:
> Thank you for your support.
>
> Jim:
> My reasoning is that a one time announcement of a relevant event is
> appropriate.

+1.

Hen

Posted by Philippe Ombredanne <po...@nexb.com>.
Roman and Jim:

On Thu, Jan 16, 2020 at 6:12 PM Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 16, 2020 at 5:03 AM Jim Jagielski <ji...@jagunet.com> wrote:
> > This email was, IMO, inappropriate for this list.
>
> FTR: I disagree with the above statement.

Roman:
Thank you for your support.

Jim:
My reasoning is that a one time announcement of a relevant event is
appropriate. I can appreciate that you disagree but there is no
legal-discuss FAQ or past discussion that would hint that this is not
OK and the form I used is the traditional accepted way to make one
time announcement on lists.

I think this is relevant because this for a gathering of open source
developers that create open source license compliance automation
tools. I would tend to think that this could be of interest to the
folks interested in Apache legal affairs discussions since the bulk of
these discussions are about open source license compliance. To the
best of my knowledge that's the only public discussion forum to reach
out to Apache folks that care about license compliance and I sincerely
would not have expected this announcement to trigger any follow up
discussion.

With all that said and if you still consider that's not appropriate
should we start some FAQ to explain what is the acceptable use of this
list?
--
Cordially
Philippe Ombredanne

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.
On Thu, Jan 16, 2020 at 5:03 AM Jim Jagielski <ji...@jagunet.com> wrote:

> This email was, IMO, inappropriate for this list.

FTR: I disagree with the above statement.

Thanks,
Roman.

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.