Posted to builds@apache.org by Richard Henwood <Ri...@arm.com> on 2016/07/05 14:42:33 UTC

identifying builder target architecture?

Hi all,

I am (currently in very general terms) looking at the Apache Ecosystem and attempting to evaluate the status of CI with respect to native libraries and architectures (I'm mostly interested in AArch64).
As a first step, I thought I'd go and see which builders are targeting which architectures.

While I understand that the JVM should make builds architecture agnostic, I know that some packages include native libraries to provide performance improvements. I assumed I could get arch info by clicking around on: https://builds.apache.org/ but I am either mistaken or not following the correct links, or something else.

So if you have any guidance here - or general advice how to pursue my investigations - I would appreciate it.

Best regards,
Richard

RE: identifying builder target architecture?

Posted by Richard Henwood <Ri...@arm.com>.
Thanks for the prompt replies.

What I think I'm reading is that non-Linux-x86 targets cannot be relied upon today and as such are a 'nice-to-have'. I assume the un-reliability issue is caused by a scarcity of build experts who are already stretched thin keeping up with the huge demands of the Apache eco-system. From reviewing the mail archives, it seems Dmitry from Microsoft started a related discussion a few months ago [1] with a conclusion that the project could best fulfil it's needs outside of the scope of builds.apache.org.

If a project wanted to avoid an external CI loop, what is the most useful thing a non-apache person can contribute?

Best regards,
Richard

1. http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-builds/201603.mbox/%3CBN3PR03MB13685317171A1F2EE8F8D6DED1B20%40BN3PR03MB1368.namprd03.prod.outlook.com%3E

> So if you have any guidance here - or general advice how to pursue my investigations - I would appreciate it.

When I start targeting a different set of boxes on the build infrastructure, I generally start with a simple job that tells me the uname value, a few ls's, etc, to get the lay of the land then go from there.

The problem is that the non-Linux-x86 machines always seem to be in various states of disrepair and/or just flat out turned off so there's a bit of a reliability problem when targeting those machines. :(  [Latest casualty appears to be the Mac OS X machine, turned off literally a day after I got Hadoop build status published to the mailing lists.]

Re: identifying builder target architecture?

Posted by Allen Wittenauer <aw...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andrew Bayer <an...@gmail.com>.
Anything that isn't explicitly called out as non-x86_64 is almost certainly
x86_64.

A.