Posted to dev@shindig.apache.org by Neo Anderson <ne...@googlemail.com> on 2008/03/05 17:21:05 UTC

SetPref

My XML file content is:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<Module>

<ModulePrefs title="User Preferences title" category="tools"

author="Neo Anderson"

description="__MSG_description__">

<Require feature="setprefs" />

<Require feature="dynamic-height" />

</ModulePrefs>

<UserPref name="mychoice" display_name="List Params?" datatype="bool"/>

<UserPref name="myname" display_name="Name" required="true"/>

<UserPref name="mycolor" display_name="Color" default_value="Blue" datatype=
"enum">

<EnumValue value="Red"/>

<EnumValue value="Blue"/>

<EnumValue value="Green"/>

<EnumValue value="Yellow"/>

<EnumValue value="Pink"/>

<EnumValue value="Orange"/>

<EnumValue value="White"/>

</UserPref>

<Content type="html">

<![CDATA[

Hi! How are you?<br>

1<br>

2<br>

3<br>

4<br>

5<br>

6<br>

7<br>

8<br>

9<br>

10<br>

11<br>

12<br>

13<br>

14<br>

15<br>

16<br>

17<br>

18<br>

19<br>

20<br>

<script language="JavaScript">

_IG_AdjustIFrameHeight();

_IG_SetTitle("Features are working.");

</script>

]]>

</Content>

</Module>

dynamic-height and settitle features are working. but when I click on
settings link, then I am not able to get the user preferences fields. I am
getting just Save and Cancel buttons. What might be the problem?

Re: SetPref

Posted by Kevin Brown <et...@google.com>.
The current gadgets.js *relies *on gmodules.com to get prefs (and it *SHOULD
*be rewritten to use RpcServlet, but that's a *TODO*), and if
gmodules.comcan't see your gadget url i
*t won't be able to tell you* the prefs it uses.

I know I'm sounding like a broken record, but...

Don't rely on gadgets.js for production sites. It's not suitable for the
task. If / when someone rewrites it to use /gadgets/rpc to get the pref
specifications, we'll have an all around solution that can be used out of
the box. I *think* Paul was working in this area, but I don't really know
because I've been focused mainly on features and the gadgets server lately.
If you want support for this sooner, please feel free to submit a patch.

--
~Kevin

Re: SetPref

Posted by Neo Anderson <ne...@googlemail.com>.
Yes, will it work if somebody uses local gadget server?

Re: SetPref

Posted by Arun Kumar <ar...@gmail.com>.

Re: SetPref

Posted by Kevin Brown <et...@google.com>.

RE: OpenSocket

Posted by Dan Lester <da...@danlester.com>.
Agreed, the profile is a major challenge to producing an acceptable
emulator.

One thing I have working in development is a version that works in the
same fashion as a flash-based profile box. It displays the gadget
'screenshot' jpg (or other graphic), then comes to life when the viewer
clicks on it. This loads the gadget iframe straight into the profile.

In any case (and hence I've focused on canvas pages for now), Facebook
have announced major changes to the profile page coming up. An app will
have a small space for static content in the narrow column, plus its own
tab (if the profile owner allows) which will take up much more of the
screen than previously. It's not yet clear whether that will allow
dynamic content (as per canvas pages). Obviously, that would bring
OpenSocial-style 'surfaces' to the dynamically-served content.

As for whether it matters, I certainly think that on Facebook the
profile is seen mainly as another channel for user acquisition,
alongside invites and news feed, etc., rather than to provide full
functionality. Remember adverts are not allowed on the profile. On the
other hand, OpenSocial gadgets may be written with the ability for full
profile display in mind.

Either way, I don't see this as a showstopper, and I think I need to
look into Facebook's imminent changes before deciding on a solution. Any
suggestions as this plays out, technical or practical, would be most
welcome!

Dan

Posted by Bruno Bowden <br...@google.com>.

OpenSocket