Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Mikhail Loenko <ml...@gmail.com> on 2006/06/30 09:54:24 UTC

[classlib] testing guidlines -- support classes

There are support classes that are shared by various types of the tests,
e.g. api and impl or classpath and bootclasspath

We can either separate them from the tests or duplicate.

I suggest that we separate these classes into folder
    src/test/support/[platform]/java
and
    org.apache.harmony.module.tests.support.*
package.

Probably it makes sense to put all the module's support
classes there (not only shared ones).

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Mikhail

Re: [classlib] testing guidlines -- support classes

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.
I think that we are really struggling here to represent the different
combination of tests using the file system directory.

So far I think we have :

 - api tests on application classpath
 - impl tests on bootclasspath
 - impl tests on application classpath
 - support classes
 - platform specific classes
 - failing tests (even temp failing and always failing)
 - resources used in tests

and I'm sure we will find more categories as we go.

IMHO trying to use a combination of directory and file names to separate
these is flawed.  Each new categorization adds another layer in source
tree layout, and added complexity.

I still believe that we should be using suites to organize the tests
into groups, irrespective of how they are stored on disk.  In this case,
categorization is by suite membership, not based on file path.

Glad I got that off my chest.

Regards,
Tim

Posted by Mikhail Loenko <ml...@gmail.com>.