Posted to users@qpid.apache.org by Rabih M <ra...@gmail.com> on 2019/06/05 10:12:37 UTC

Re: [Proton-C] Discovery

Hello Alan,

Will your pull request "reconnect_update" be released in the next proton
release 0.29.0?
We are waiting for this dev to implement some features form our side.

We can help if needed...

Best regards,
Rabih

RE: [Proton-C] Discovery

Posted by HADI Ali <Al...@murex.com>.
Hello,

- On our side delaying the creation of the connection until one URL is available implies reimplementing another retry strategy at startup. We understand that the use case doesn't fit the current connection model in the code so we will not handle it for the moment.

- In our case, when the connection fails, we are requesting from a discovery service the urls of the available Dispatch-Routers.  The urls are returned as a vector which may contain one or many urls.
So we should be able to update both the reconnect_url and the failover_urls.
But as stated in the documentation, updating both is an undefined behavior.
For example, in case the vector contains only one new URL, we need to update the reconnect_url and reset the the failover_urls.
But in reality when doing that, a default URL (localhost:5672) is added as failover_urls because the variable "current_url_" is set as the first failover url ( https://github.com/apache/qpid-proton/blob/b9ea52d0229f69e70aa5543bd5a1521fca71796e/cpp/src/connection_options.cpp#L126).

How do you think we can handle our case?

Thanks,
Ali

Posted by HADI Ali <Al...@murex.com>.
Hello,

On our side delaying the creation of the connection until one is created implies reimplementing another retry strategy at startup. However we understand that the use case doesn't fit the current connection model and we will drop it for the moment.

Re: [Proton-C] Discovery

Posted by Andrew Stitcher <as...@apache.org>.

RE: [Proton-C] Discovery

Hi, the PRs on https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PROTON-2040 were merged in time for 0.29 release. Does the way it is implemented there suit your needs?