Posted to dev@trafficcontrol.apache.org by "Durfey, Ryan" <Ry...@comcast.com> on 2017/05/03 13:44:39 UTC

Access Control - Limiting Roles / Capabilities Tenant Admins can Assign to Users

Moving this active debate into the mailing list.
-Jeremy makes a good point.  We need a method for making restricting roles and capabilities for lower tier staff that can create new users.  Jeremy has suggested a point system or a hierarchy.  I think either of these would work if applied correctly.   I am open to any approach that works.

My thoughts:
1. We need to limit which users can build new roles from capabilities or new capabilities from APIs.  This could be limited to a master role like “CDN Admin”.  Otherwise other admins could circumvent the system by matching APIs to lower tier roles.
2. Another simple approach may be to only allow non-CDN Admins to assign roles to users which they have access.  Basically you can’t give anyone more rights than you have.
3. Perhaps with this approach we allow non-CDN Admins to build roles from existing capabilities to which they have access, but not create capabilities from APIs.  Then they can build new roles and assign any capabilities or roles to which they already have access.

[cid:image001.png@01D2C3E1.1DF8D3B0]

From: Jeremy Mitchell

I like this model of a user has a role which has capabilities which map to API endpoints, however, there seems to be one flaw or at least one unaccounted for use case.
Let's look at the roles listed above:

  *   CDN-Admin
  *   CDN-Ops
  *   CDN-Viewer
  *   Tenant-Admin
  *   Tenant-Ops
  *   Tenant-Viewer
Jeremy is a CDN-Admin which has the user-create capability (among others) so he creates Bob, a Tenant-Admin. Being a Tenant-Admin, Bob also has user-create so he creates Sally and he can give her ANY role so he decides to give Sally the CDN-Admin role....whoops, we don't want that...
Bob should be limited to creating users with role=Tenant-Admin (his role), Tenant-Ops or Tenant-Viewer...but how do we correlate one role with another? Currently, we have "privilege level" attached to a role. So I guess we could use that like so:

  *   CDN-Admin (100)
  *   CDN-Ops (50)
  *   CDN-Viewer (40)
  *   Tenant-Admin (30)
  *   Tenant-Ops (20)
  *   Tenant-Viewer (10)
Now, being a Tenant-Admin with the user-create capability, Bob can only create users where role.priv_level is 30 or below. I feel like this might be the easiest solution.
Thoughts?

Now, being a Tenant-Admin with the user-create capability, Bob can only create users where role.priv_level is 30 or below. I feel like this might be the easiest solution.
Or...you could make roles hierarchical the way that tenants are hierarchical....
-CDN-Admin
--CDN-Ops
--CDN-Viewer
--Tenant-Admin
---Tenant-Ops
---Tenant-Viewer
And in this scenario, if you have the user-create capability you can create users with your role or a child of your role...
Thoughts?

Ryan Durfey
Sr. Product Manager - CDN | Comcast Technology Solutions
1899 Wynkoop Ste. 550 | Denver, CO 8020
M | 303-524-5099
ryan_durfey@comcast.com<ma...@comcast.com>
24x7 CDN Support: 866-405-2993  or cdn_support@comcast.com<ma...@comcast.com>

Re: Access Control - Limiting Roles / Capabilities Tenant Admins can Assign to Users

Posted by Jeremy Mitchell <mi...@gmail.com>.
@Nir - I think this is unrelated to tenancy. Tenancy controls the scope of
what you can see...Roles/capabilities control what you can do.

Imagine these are the roles in the system. I renamed them to avoid
confusion:

(CP stands for content provider)

  *   CDN-Admin <-- this has 100 capabilities including user-create
  *   CDN-Ops <-- this has 80 capabilities
  *   CDN-Viewer <-- this has 50 capabilities
  *   CP-Admin <-- this has 30 capabilities including user-create
  *   CP-Ops <-- this has 20 capabilities
  *   CP-Viewer <-- this has 10 capabilities

I am a user with the CP-Admin role so i can create users. Are  you saying
that I should be able to create users and give them any role I please.
You're going to trust me?

In my opinion, I should really only be creating users with role = CP-Admin,
CP-Ops, CP-Viewer...

Also, to your last point, Nir, and Durfey touched on this too. "This user
can further create a tenant specific roles and capabilities".

I don't agree. I think the ONLY role that can create,update,delete roles is
the CDN-Admin. Otherwise, this will get way out of hand and you'll have
people creating roles to circumvent the system.

Jeremy

Posted by Nir Sopher <ni...@qwilt.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Jeremy Mitchell <mi...@gmail.com>.