Posted to soap-user@ws.apache.org by Lucas Gonze <lu...@gonze.com> on 2001/12/03 22:56:08 UTC

bug in SMTP2HTTPBridge

Using soap-2_2/lib/soap.jar and invoking SMTP2HTTPBridge, I get the following
error:
java -classpath  C:/src/mandingo/lib/soap-2_2/lib/soap.jar
org.apache.soap.server.SMTP2HTTPBridge
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: com/ibm/network/mail/pop3/event/MessageListener

My guess is that either that class is not actively maintained or that the issue
has been fixed in a later build.  I would also guess that either
* com.ibm.network.mail.pop3.event.MessageListener is in an external package that
happened to already be in the classpath of people using SMTP2HTTPBridge
or
* the class hierarchy for com.ibm.network.mail.pop3.event.MessageListener has
been renamed into the org.apache hierarchy.

Thoughts, workarounds, suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

- Lucas Gonze

RE: bug in SMTP2HTTPBridge

Posted by Lucas Gonze <lu...@gonze.com>.
Ok, yeah, the full workaround is to get the IBM developerworks pop3.jar and
smtp.jar via
http://www.alphaworks.ibm.com/ab.nsf/techreqs/SMTP
http://www.alphaworks.ibm.com/ab.nsf/techreqs/POP3

- Lucas

RE: bug in SMTP2HTTPBridge

RE: bug in SMTP2HTTPBridge

Posted by Lucas Gonze <lu...@gonze.com>.
Hi Tom,

> I'm puzzled.
>    (a) the pop3.jar I have, dated June 4th, does seem to have such
> a class in it. (just use grep, or ^F on the windows dir containing
> the jar, to search for the actual string
>     com/ibm/network/mail/pop3/event/MessageListener
> because that's in the  jar, uncompressed.)

jar -tf don't find it, I am certain.  IMO the fact that you have it points
towards the likelyhood of long term devs having the correct jar for some
historical reason, but the public tarball not having it...

>    (b) you said
>        java -classpath C:/src/.../soap.jar ...SMTP2HTTPBridge
> so how can pop3.jar be in your classpath?

Eh.  It was a cleaned up command line to make the email more readable.  I
doublechecked those jars carefully, including doing
"find -name "*.jar" -exec jar \-tf {} \; | grep MessageListener" on every jar on
this box.

Hang loose a minute for the full solution.  Richard's call on the developerworks
origin of the jar was correct, but leads to another developerworks jar
dependency, this time for smtp.jar.  ...I'll post the full suite of workarounds
in a couple minutes.

yours,
Lucas

RE: bug in SMTP2HTTPBridge

Posted by Lucas Gonze <lu...@gonze.com>.
Hi Tom,

RE: bug in SMTP2HTTPBridge

Posted by Tom Myers <to...@dreamscape.com>.

so Richard Boehme [mailto:boehme@acm.jhu.edu] asked

> > Do you have mail.jar and pop3.jar in your classpath?

and at 05:03 PM 12/3/2001 -0500, Lucas Gonze replied:
>Yup.
>
>Have tested with jars from both Tomcat and Javamail-1.2.

I'm puzzled.
   (a) the pop3.jar I have, dated June 4th, does seem to have such
a class in it. (just use grep, or ^F on the windows dir containing
the jar, to search for the actual string
    com/ibm/network/mail/pop3/event/MessageListener
because that's in the  jar, uncompressed.)
   (b) you said
       java -classpath C:/src/.../soap.jar ...SMTP2HTTPBridge
so how can pop3.jar be in your classpath?

Tom probably-i'm-just-asleep-again..ZZZZZZ Myers

RE: bug in SMTP2HTTPBridge

Posted by Tom Myers <to...@dreamscape.com>.

RE: bug in SMTP2HTTPBridge

Posted by Lucas Gonze <lu...@gonze.com>.