Posted to dev@qpid.apache.org by Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com> on 2007/05/25 20:18:14 UTC

Qpid working with AMQP Working Group

When the project was proposed, one concern that was raised on the
incubator general list was (quoting board report) "Making sure we are
comfortable with the working relationship between Qpid and the AMQP
Working Group." This concern has been posted on every board report so far.

Looking back through the posts when Qpid was accepted into incubator, it
seems clear the AMQP Working group is no more restrictive than most
other specification groups from which other Apache projects are
implementing. Cliff summarized this in one of these early posts.
{http://www.mail-archive.com/general@incubator.apache.org/msg09394.html}
>From that mail:

(1) Licensing of the specification.

Quote from Cliff's mail "* The bad news on this is that the spec license
appears only to grant copy, display, and implement rights, not distribution.
* The good news is that I asked Carl about this today, and he says he's
surprised at that as well and expects it is only an administrative
hassle to get it fixed, but that it will happen.
 * The ugly news is that the SCA spec that Tuscany is based upon seems
to have the same problem."

-->This has been addressed by an update the the license, "distribute"
has been added and M1 was released with this update.

(2) Application of the non-public specification drafts.

Quote from Cliff's mail " If a project is chartered to implement a
specification (whether in a standards body or not), I don't ever want to
see code committed to its /trunk that is fulfilling the implementation
of a private version of a specification."

--> This has been taken off the table by the working group since by
voting to make all the development public, more on this later.

(3) Openness of participation in the specification.

This is a long section in cliff mail and the thread that resulted is
even longer.... To best sum up the issue I quote from Cliff's mail again
"If an Apache project is based on a specification that is driven by a
closed set of authors, including some, but not all committers, how can
the technical decisions of the project truly be based on an open
meritocracy?"

--> the Working Group has seen individuals join the group and provide
very good feedback to the specification, so far no-one has requested
that we proceed or require/work any of the options suggested by Cliff.
If needed I can outline them.

It thus seems that the underlying question that was open at time of
acceptance into incubator was "Are those contributing to Qpid able to
interact with and view/influence information from the AMQP Working
Group?" Refreshing my memory, I have searched the Qpid lists and could
not find any issues between the Qpid project and the Working Group. I
expect that this is mainly due to the transparency of specification
process of the Working Group and the fact that all its mailing lists &
wiki pages for the specification development are public (this was not
the case when the group started). I believe that this has eliminated
most of the concerns.

As we have been working on the Qpid code base for quite some time now, I
would like to get feedback from others on Qpid regarding the ability to
get the specification and work-in-process. If those on the list are
comfortable with this issue I would like to remove it from our next
board report or address any outstanding problems.

regards,
Carl.

Re: Qpid working with AMQP Working Group

Posted by Marnie McCormack <ma...@googlemail.com>.
Hi Carl,

I think this is a very useful discussion, what with 0.10 coming up and the
various 0.9 WIP debates.

My tuppence follows ..... hth !

I think the changes made to the way in which the AMQP spec changes are
progressed have made it far easier to keep track of the protocol i.e. JIRAs
etc and also eased contribution to the protocol discussions (though it does
require significant bandwidth).

However, I do think that from a Qpid perspective we should attempt to define
how we track the protocol in our roadmap. I know roadmap(s) for Qpid are
currently virtual, but we should (imho) attempt to capture our plans for
Qpid features alongside the work we need/plan to do to keep in step with the
protocol. I'd always imagined we'd have JIRA refs in Qpid JIRAs to work
defined in AMQP JIRAs, or similar, to capture the work needed or protocol
enablers requested for Qpid features etc.

AMQP 0.10 will introduce a) work Qpid must do and b) work Qpid can now do (
i.e. enablers for such things are dead letter queue config options etc).
This work will be significant in terms of developer effort, and also in
terms of its impact on Qpid in release/graduation terms I guess. We should
try to capture it in a collated form and estimate it to make the picture
clearer, imho ?

I'm not currently in a great position to move things forward from a
practical perspective, but thought I'd send my thoughts just the same :-)

Hope this finds you well,
Regards,
Marnie

Posted by Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com>.