Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by J Aaron Farr <fa...@apache.org> on 2004/01/16 19:58:02 UTC

Re: [PMC:VOTE] meta, repository, util, merlin publication

On Fri, 2004-01-16 at 21:31, Stephen McConnell wrote:

my votes:

>    [5] Avalon Meta 1.3
>
>         [X] yes
>         [ ] abstain
>         [ ] no
>
>    [6] Avalon Repository 1.2
>
>         [X] yes
>         [ ] abstain
>         [ ] no
>
>    [7] Avalon Utilities 1.1
>
>         [X] yes
>         [ ] abstain
>         [ ] no
>
>    [8] Avalon Merlin 3.2.5 (beta)
>
>         [X] yes
>         [ ] abstain
>         [ ] no

Question:  Merlin 3.2.5 is a beta release?  What version is next
scheduled for 'official' stable release (ie- shows up on the downloads
page)?  Currently, only 3.0 is there.

--
 jaaron  <http://jadetower.org>

merlin release status

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.
J Aaron Farr wrote:

> Question:  Merlin 3.2.5 is a beta release?

Correct.

> What version is next
> scheduled for 'official' stable release (ie- shows up on the downloads
> page)?  Currently, only 3.0 is there.

Assuming this vote passes then 3.2.5 will go up on the Apache download
site.

As far the the client contact is concerned ... i.e. the interaction
between a component and the Merlin containment system (description
of deployment directives such as <container>, <component>, standard
names for context entries, standard attribute names, etc.) - at this
level the Merlin platform has been *very* stable.  Changes in this area
  have received a very high-level of sensitivity to end-user impact.
 From this perspective the release should be considered rock solid.

The reason for the beta classification concerns that fact that product
APIs and implementations are evolving. Although the audience impacted by
these changes is two or three orders of magnitude smaller, the beta
status does lets us really focus on the system APIs during the 3.3
cycle.  This will give us time to validate the new embedded application
areas, and I'm confident will get some useful feedback from dynamic
model driven applications.

The principal is that a 3.3 release should incorporate the bulk of any
API changes (and should make an appearance reasonably soon), with 3.4
aimed at final release with a full code security model in place.

Stephen.