Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Joerg Heinicke <jo...@gmx.de> on 2004/12/08 23:17:17 UTC

adding personal blocks to Cocoon build (was: 2.1.6 build fails looking for TraXLiaison)

On 08.12.2004 23:01, Greg Newton wrote:

> I want to incorporate the eXist xml database (http://exist-db.org/) into
> my builds of Cocoon and I'd like to do it as a block (unless there are
> compelling reasons to do it another way).
>
> Are there good (read no assumptions made about my competence level)
> online instructions for doing this, or is this something that really
> requires alot of experience to do?
>
> There is a fellow that does this very thing (eXist as block) but I'd
> like to learn *how* to do it rather than relying on others to do it for me.

There is not much meaning about a Cocoon *block* at the moment as it is
more or less only a directory structure. Having the dirs and files at
the correct place lets them get incorporated into a Cocoon build.

If you need some additional configuration in Cocoon files like
cocoon.xconf you have to write some xpatch files which get merged with
the main cocoon.xconf (and maybe others).

A third issue is the gump descriptor. I think you need an entry there to
get your block added to the list of to-be-build blocks, but I do not
really know.

I would really wonder if there are any online instructions about doing
this. So learning by doing/copying & pasting from the existent blocks
will be the way to go. The most important parts I hopefully mentioned above.

Joerg

Re: adding personal blocks to Cocoon build (was: 2.1.6 build fails looking for TraXLiaison)

Posted by Antonio Gallardo <ag...@agssa.net>.
Hi Bruce,

can you wikify it? ;-)

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo

On Mie, 8 de Diciembre de 2004, 16:41, Bruce Robertson dijo:

Posted by Bruce Robertson <br...@mta.ca>.

Posted by Upayavira <uv...@upaya.co.uk>.
Joerg Heinicke wrote:

> On 08.12.2004 23:01, Greg Newton wrote:
>
>> I want to incorporate the eXist xml database (http://exist-db.org/)
>> into my builds of Cocoon and I'd like to do it as a block (unless
>> there are compelling reasons to do it another way).
>>
>> Are there good (read no assumptions made about my competence level)
>> online instructions for doing this, or is this something that really
>> requires alot of experience to do?
>>
>> There is a fellow that does this very thing (eXist as block) but I'd
>> like to learn *how* to do it rather than relying on others to do it
>> for me.
>

> There is not much meaning about a Cocoon *block* at the moment as it
> is more or less only a directory structure. Having the dirs and files
> at the correct place lets them get incorporated into a Cocoon build.
>
> If you need some additional configuration in Cocoon files like
> cocoon.xconf you have to write some xpatch files which get merged with
> the main cocoon.xconf (and maybe others).
>
> A third issue is the gump descriptor. I think you need an entry there
> to get your block added to the list of to-be-build blocks, but I do
> not really know.
>
> I would really wonder if there are any online instructions about doing
> this. So learning by doing/copying & pasting from the existent blocks
> will be the way to go. The most important parts I hopefully mentioned
> above.

 From tools/targets/compile-build.xml:

  <!-- prepares the blocks build -->
  <target name="prepare-blocks" depends="prepare">
    <mkdir dir="${build.blocks}"/>

    <xslt in="${gump.descriptor}"
          out="${build.temp}/blocks-build.xml"
          style="${tools.src}/blocks-build.xsl"/>
  </target>

So, it seems that the blocks to be built come from the gump.xml file.
Also, looking at tools/src/blocks-build.xsl, it seems that only blocks
who's names begin with 'cocoon-block-' are included in the blocks build.

It probably wouldn't be hard to add a build process to include some
external blocks, by transforming a local.gump.xml, or similar.

Regards, Upayavira

Re: adding personal blocks to Cocoon build (was: 2.1.6 build fails looking for TraXLiaison)

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Le 8 déc. 04, à 23:17, Joerg Heinicke a écrit :

> ...If you need some additional configuration in Cocoon files like
> cocoon.xconf you have to write some xpatch files which get merged with
> the main cocoon.xconf (and maybe others)....

> ...I would really wonder if there are any online instructions about
> doing this. So learning by doing/copying & pasting from the existent
> blocks will be the way to go. The most important parts I hopefully
> mentioned above....

http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon/YourCocoonBasedProjectAnt16 is a good
start for helping build your project, including xconf files. It doesn't
handle the gump descriptor but this is not really needed for standalone
projects.

-Bertrand