Posted to embperl@perl.apache.org by Gavin Carr <ga...@openfusion.com.au> on 2004/08/25 02:43:37 UTC

DBIx::Recordset and postgresql schemas?

I'm trying to get DBIx::Recordset to play with a PostgreSQL 8.0beta1
install, and am getting tons of errors on my initial DBIx::Database->new
call:

    use constant DB_DSN  => 'dbi:Pg:dbname=foo';
    use constant DB_USER => 'foo';
    use constant DB_PASS => 'foo';
    DBIx::Database->new(DB_DSN, DB_USER, DB_PASS, undef, 'foo', 1);

of the form:

DBD::Pg::st execute failed: ERROR:  relation "triggered_update_columns" does not exist at /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.1/DBIx/Compat.pm line 33.
select * from triggered_update_columns where 1=0  failed ERROR:  relation "triggered_update_columns" does not exist at /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.1/DBIx/Compat.pm line 35.
DBD::Pg::st execute failed: ERROR:  relation "table_constraints" does not exist at /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.1/DBIx/Compat.pm line 33.
select * from table_constraints where 1=0  failed ERROR:  relation "table_constraints" does not exist at /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.1/DBIx/Compat.pm line 35.
<lots more snipped>

It looks like DBIx::Database->new is stripping the schema information
from table names before calling QueryMetadata, which seems to be
required now? Anyone else seen this, or are successfully using
DBIx::Recordset with PostgreSQL 7.3+ (when schemas came in)? Or am
I missing something obvious?

Cheers,
Gavin

Re: DBIx::Recordset and postgresql schemas?

Posted by Kaare Rasmussen <ka...@kakidata.dk>.
> It looks like DBIx::Database->new is stripping the schema information
> from table names before calling QueryMetadata, which seems to be
> required now? Anyone else seen this, or are successfully using
> DBIx::Recordset with PostgreSQL 7.3+ (when schemas came in)? Or am
> I missing something obvious?

You don't need to use schemas. I do use it though. The way I do it in
DBIx::Recordset is not pretty, but it works:

$db -> do ("SET search_path TO $schema");

Howitzvej 75               Åben 12.00-18.00        Email: kar@kakidata.dk
2000 Frederiksberg        Lørdag 12.00-16.00       Web:      www.suse.dk

Re: DBIx::Recordset and postgresql schemas?

Posted by RobertCZ <ro...@robert.cz>.
Gavin Carr wrote:

>and if I do the following (again as the postgres user):
>
>  perl -MDBIx::Database -le 'DBIx::Database->new("dbi:Pg:dbname=template1","postgres",undef,undef,"foo",1)'
>
>I get a long list of errors about non-existent relations. Does the above
>work okay for you on 7.3?

it does... at least it says nothing which is ok i guess

btw i plan to upgrade pg but probably not before 8.0.3 or so - i use
pg/recordset a lot, if nobody fix it by then, i'll do my best

- r.

Re: DBIx::Recordset and postgresql schemas?

Posted by Gavin Carr <ga...@openfusion.com.au>.
On Wed, Aug 25, 2004 at 08:06:10AM +0200, Robert Germi? wrote:
> Gavin Carr wrote:
>
> >It looks like DBIx::Database->new is stripping the schema information
> >from table names before calling QueryMetadata, which seems to be
> >required now? Anyone else seen this, or are successfully using
> >DBIx::Recordset with PostgreSQL 7.3+ (when schemas came in)? Or am
> >I missing something obvious?
>
> i got 7.3.6 and it works ok (don't use schemas)

I'm not using schemas either, but postgresql is (at least as of 7.4,
I don't have a 7.3 here to check). As postgres:

$ psql template1
template1=# \dn
        List of schemas
        Name        |  Owner
--------------------+----------
 information_schema | postgres
 pg_catalog         | postgres
 pg_temp_1          | postgres
 pg_toast           | postgres
 public             | postgres
(5 rows)

Posted by Robert Germič <ge...@pcv.cz>.

--
              S pozdravem/Best Regards

                                    Robert Germic

Prvni ceska virtualni s.r.o., Vinohradska 25/35,  CZ-120 00 Praha 2
Email: germic@pcv.cz, Mob. tel.: (+420 602) 213 480

NetBooking Czech Republic s.r.o., Trebohostická 12, CZ-100 00 Praha 10
Email: germic@netbooking.cz, Mob. tel.: (+420 602) 512 512