Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org> on 2001/06/14 18:16:40 UTC

Automagic Announcement Generation

I added the automagic announcement generation from the Avalon
project.  This does require a little care and feeding, though.

One thing that was forgotten during the Beta 1 release of
Cocoon was to adjust the Change logs so that the last release
was permanently marked as:

<release version="2.0b1" date="June 3, 2001">

This is something that has been forgotten to be done between
every version number for the change log.  As a result, it is
_very_ difficult to figure out what changes and updates happened
when.

I propose that we do not use the automatic filtering on the
change.xml file, and we hand code the versions for the releases
in the file.  This will force the average developer to realize
(hopefully) that my change is in version 2.0b1-dev (will be
2.0b2).

Please, be careful with the change log.  It is a good tool if
maintained correctly.

Also, is our TODO list up to date?

Re: Automagic Announcement Generation

Posted by giacomo <gi...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 14 Jun 2001, Berin Loritsch wrote:

> I added the automagic announcement generation from the Avalon
> project.  This does require a little care and feeding, though.
>
> One thing that was forgotten during the Beta 1 release of
> Cocoon was to adjust the Change logs so that the last release
> was permanently marked as:
>
> <release version="2.0b1" date="June 3, 2001">
>
> This is something that has been forgotten to be done between
> every version number for the change log.  As a result, it is
> _very_ difficult to figure out what changes and updates happened
> when.
>
> I propose that we do not use the automatic filtering on the
> change.xml file, and we hand code the versions for the releases
> in the file.  This will force the average developer to realize
> (hopefully) that my change is in version 2.0b1-dev (will be
> 2.0b2).
>
> Please, be careful with the change log.  It is a good tool if
> maintained correctly.
>
> Also, is our TODO list up to date?

Hmm.. haven't look into it quite a while.

Giacomo

Re: sub sitemap and components (was: RE: TODO)

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.
Make sure the Component also implements one of the lifestyle
interfaces:

SingleThreaded (instantiated by factory method)
ThreadSafe (one instance shared)
Poolable (multiple instances recycled after use)

The ComponentManager in Excalibur makes the safest assumption
it can in the absence of these: it assumes the Component is
SingleThreaded.

The implications of choosing the lifestyle of choice are:

SingleThreaded:  Creation is delayed until you actually request
                 it.  There is never a Component in reserve.

ThreadSafe: It is created on initialization, and the one instance
            is shared between all requesters.

Poolable: It is created on initialization with multiple instances.
          as it is requested, unused instances are given to the
          client.

Posted by Torsten Curdt <tc...@dff.st>.

Re: TODO (was RE: Automagic Announcement Generation)

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.

Posted by giacomo <gi...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 14 Jun 2001, Torsten Curdt wrote:

> > Also, is our TODO list up to date?
>
> Well, could someone please help and have
> a look at the sub sitemap error?
> (I need this to work real badly)
>
> Or proove I'm wrong...
>
> But since Giacomo experienced the
> same behavior I feel quite confident
> it is not my fault (this time ;)

It seems to be fixed now (my clean version from about a half an hour ago
work well with sub sitemaps.

Giacomo

TODO (was RE: Automagic Announcement Generation)

Posted by Torsten Curdt <tc...@dff.st>.