Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Brandon Cruz <bc...@norvax.com> on 2002/09/18 20:25:03 UTC

RE: How and when to upgrade Tomcat 3.2.4 to Tomcat 4.1.10 Stable (Anybody?)

We have been running tomcat 3.2.4 connected to Apache for about a year now.
We have configured about 200 virtual hosts (through server.xml) that are
using Tomcat to serve jsp files and run web applications.  Most of the
customers use the same application.

We are having a major problem, every time we want to change that
application, we need to restart tomcat, which means shutting down sessions
for users from every single virtual host.  This is a total pain!

We would like to upgrade to Tomcat 4.1.10 for it's manager capabilities,
especially restarting applications.  We would also like to stay somewhat
current so that we can get support from this usergroup when we have
questions.  There don't seem to be too many people interested in 3.2.4
questions anymore.

Question 1: Every *.jsp request is mapped to mod_jk, the workers.properties
seems to specify the home installation for Tomcat.  We would like to setup
4.1.10 and send new hosts to that instance, while leaving old customers
running on 3.2.4 at least until we are sure everything is working with the
new installation.  We do not have access to map *.jsp to a certain tomcat
instance because of the way our server administrator tool handles apache
virtual hosts.  Is this possible?  Are we stuck with only one instance of
tomcat if every *.jsp request goes to mod_jk?

Question 2:  Has anyone done this upgrade before and is it a major task?  Is
this even worth doing, or should we stick with 3.2.4 until we need to set up
an entirely new server?

Thanks in advance for any help, advice, or answers!

Brandon