Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Dola Woolfe <do...@yahoo.com> on 2006/03/17 17:44:57 UTC

Best eclipse plugin for tomcat development

Hi,

Following the advice of the mailing lists members, I'm
trying to work with Eclipse. I've learned that to do
tomcat development I need to download an appropriate
plugin and that there are seveal to choose from. Can
someone recommend a good one (or is there a best one,
or the most common one)?

Thanks!

Dola

RE: Best eclipse plugin for tomcat development

Posted by David Grace <pr...@dutchie.net>.
Hi,

I agree, Netbeans is specifically designed with Tomcat support. It works
out of the box, perfectly. You will also get heaps of support in the
Netbeans forums.

Dave.

> Following the advice of the mailing lists members, I'm
> trying to work with Eclipse. I've learned that to do
> tomcat development I need to download an appropriate
> plugin and that there are seveal to choose from. Can
> someone recommend a good one (or is there a best one,
> or the most common one)?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Dola

Don't mean to start a flame war here, but if you use NetBeans IDE
instead, you don't need a plugin at all. Tomcat is bundled with NetBeans

IDE, and as soon as you open NetBeans IDE, you can start developing JSPs

and servlets and you can be deploying to Tomcat 5 minutes after
installing NetBeans IDE. Note that I work for NetBeans, therefore my
opinion is not objective. However, it is a simple objective fact that
Tomcat is bundled with NetBeans and available and registered with
NetBeans out of the box.

-- Geertjan

Message protected by MailGuard: e-mail anti-virus, anti-spam and content
filtering.
http://www.mailguard.com.au/mg

http://www.mailguard.com.au/mg

Re: Best eclipse plugin for tomcat development

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <Ge...@Sun.COM>.

Posted by "Mauricio Fernandez A." <mf...@ono.com>.
Hi Dola

I´m using this one http://www.sysdeo.com/eclipse/tomcatplugin and it works
very well.  I´m developing on Windows XP but I didn´t test it on linux,
maybe it works fine too, perhaps somebody can tell us more info for using it
on linux.

Mauricio Fernández A.
Ingeniero de Sistemas
Universidad Autónoma de Manizales (Colombia)

Posted by Wade Chandler <hw...@yahoo.com>.

http://download.eclipse.org/webtools/downloads/drops/R-1.0-200512210855/

> Arguably there are better individual pieces, or even
> bundled combinations
> such as MyEclipse and others, but IMHO this is
> probably the easiest way to
> get going.
>
> HTH - Richard

This doesn't exactly answer your question, but I use
Netbeans a lot for development of Web applications and
Java UIs.  Netbeans has built in support for Tomcat
straight out of install without adding any extra
plugins, and you can install other modules for JBoss
and Sun Application Server, and there may be others.
You might give it a try.  I haven't used Eclipse much
myself.

Wade

RE: Best eclipse plugin for tomcat development