Posted to users@myfaces.apache.org by Bharath Belagodu <BB...@trivininc.com> on 2007/02/28 15:51:40 UTC

Sandbox (Tomahawk)

How stable is Sandbox? Not sure if this is ready for prime time, because
we faced issues with Trinidad components before switching to Tomahawk. I
know that Trinidad components are very rich and attractive but there
were one too many issues when we started development with them last
year.

Even if the Sandbox is stable now, can we guarantee its stability? Is
this going to be integrated into Tomahawk library, would I have to
change my code to accommodate the integration?

I'm trying to use the 'PickList'
http://www.irian.at/myfaces-sandbox/picklist.jsf;jsessionid=F9FE2EA5BCB0
B2B98BDD47F98C8E2999 component from the Sandbox. Is this production
material?

Thanks.

-Bharath

Re: Sandbox (Tomahawk)

Posted by Mike Kienenberger <mk...@gmail.com>.
On 2/28/07, Bharath Belagodu <BB...@trivininc.com> wrote:
> How stable is Sandbox? Not sure if this is ready for prime time, because we
> faced issues with Trinidad components before switching to Tomahawk. I know
> that Trinidad components are very rich and attractive but there were one too
> many issues when we started development with them last year.
>
> Even if the Sandbox is stable now, can we guarantee its stability? Is this
> going to be integrated into Tomahawk library, would I have to change my code
> to accommodate the integration?

By definition, the sandbox is unstable.   No guarantees are made.

> I'm trying to use the 'PickList'
> http://www.irian.at/myfaces-sandbox/picklist.jsf;jsessionid=F9FE2EA5BCB0B2B98BDD47F98C8E2999
> component from the Sandbox. Is this production material?

This is the right approach.   Ask about specific components rather
than the project in general, which will never be stable.   I haven't
used picklist, but it's been around awhile, and I've seen occasional
emails and patches to it over time.  I'd say people are using the
component and it's relatively stable, but that's a guess.

Components get promoted to Tomahawk from the sandbox when they meet
the promotion criteria:

http://wiki.apache.org/myfaces/promotion

Often, it's just a matter of someone investing a little bit of time
into the component in order to get it promoted, particularly if the
component has been in the sandbox for awhile yet has a user base.
Example code, documentation, localization, jsp tag handlers are often
the trivial showstoppers.

Re: Sandbox (Tomahawk)

Posted by Gerald Müllan <bi...@gmail.com>.
Depends on spare time of the committer :)

--
http://www.irian.at

Your JSF powerhouse -
JSF Consulting, Development and
Courses in English and German

Professional Support for Apache MyFaces

Re: Sandbox (Tomahawk)

Posted by Werner Punz <we...@gmail.com>.
Gerald Müllan schrieb:
> Hi,
>
> from practical experience i can tell you that this component is quite
> stable. There are no issues i can remember and i use it in a
> ready-for-production environment.
>
> cheers,
>
> Gerald

Time for promotion then?

Cheers Werner

Re: Sandbox (Tomahawk)

Posted by Gerald Müllan <bi...@gmail.com>.
Yes, you get the sandbox jar also due to a locally build of tomahawk.

RE: Sandbox (Tomahawk)

Re: Sandbox (Tomahawk)

Posted by Jeff Bischoff <jb...@klkurz.com>.

RE: Sandbox (Tomahawk)

Posted by Bharath Belagodu <BB...@trivininc.com>.
Appreciate the responses.
Downloaded the jar file and the docs (API). Where can I download the war file deployed for http://www.irian.at/myfaces-sandbox/home.jsf

I've been looking for the war file in http://people.apache.org/maven-snapshot-repository/org/apache/myfaces/tomahawk/tomahawk-sandbox15-examples/1.1.5-SNAPSHOT/ but the source jar or the war for the example sandbox15 doesn't have the information mentioned in http://www.irian.at/myfaces-sandbox/home.jsf

Thanks.

-Bharath

Re: Sandbox (Tomahawk)

Posted by Gerald Müllan <bi...@gmail.com>.