Posted to dev@lucenenet.apache.org by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> on 2011/02/21 05:55:40 UTC

[Lucene.Net] Re: Signing Binary Releases

On 2011-02-20, Robert Jordan wrote:

> On 20.02.2011 07:49, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
>> If you talk about strong naming assemblies then I don't have any
>> experience how a well designed scheme of sharing the key between several
>> developers might work.  As the maintainer of XMLUnit I'd be interested
>> in a good solution myself.

> Many open source projects are keeping the key pair (*.snk)
> together with the source code in their repository because
> the security significance of the key is zero.

> Given how .NET assembly signing was designed, no one
> would be able to generate a compatible Lucene.Net assembly
> from source code w/out having to update assembly
> references in all projects using Lucene.Net.

> This is hardly compatible with open source principles
> and should be avoided.

I agree but users have asked for a strong named version of XMLUnit in
the past so I was thinking about providing one as alternative.  I've
seen similar user requests for log4net or NUnit as well.

Stefan

Re: [Lucene.Net] Re: Signing Binary Releases

Posted by Ayende Rahien <ay...@ayende.com>.
Okay, cool

Posted by Robert Jordan <ro...@gmx.net>.

Posted by Ayende Rahien <ay...@ayende.com>.
Educate my users?
That is hardly my role. They get the benefit of being able to run a patch
version without undue hassle.
NHibernate 1.x tried to have a secret snk, and that failed pretty miserably

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ayende Rahien <ay...@ayende.com>.
There are many situations where you _have_ to have a strong key, or example,
gac deployments.
In those cases, anything in the chain also have to have strong key. Most OSS